Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2011-09-23, 21:56   Link #16776
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
That's a completely different matter. "Dark Matter" (which does indeed make up most of the universe) is not "Darkness". The name is simply referring to the fact that we can not see it, it is not emitting light -> Dark matter. Dark matter is not existing in some lightless portion of the universe, it exists pretty much everywhere, we simply can't see it, because it's "dark". It emits nothing, and no other light reflects off it.

But as I said, Dark matter is not "Darkness". Darkness doesn't exist. It's just like a Hole can't be said to exist. They are both just a lack of something.

If you had a hole in the ground, and the wall collapsed, filling it up, but leaving another hole next to it, would you say the hole has moved? No, the earth moved, and a new hole was left where the earth was. But the hole has not moved. Likewise Darkness does not move.
At no point did I mistake dark matter for darkness so you need not elaborate on that any further.

Is there a physical boundary to the universe? And beyond it, is nothingness darkness? I suppose it's more philosophical at that point.