View Single Post
Old 2012-12-08, 00:08   Link #233
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Use of the word "caretaker" was obviously a poor choice of words in this situation given the literal nature of what is going on. I apologize for the poor choice of words. What I meant was she's not her legal guardian any more then Sorata is just because they're "assigned" to "Mashiro Duty". Neither of them are in a position to make life decisions on her behalf, and that is not what they're being asked or expected to do. They're supporting her. Do I think that makes them interested parties? Yes, and very interested even. But I don't believe this gives either of them (or us) the right to judge her decision-making process based on not making the choice they think she should make (or not agreeing with her reasons why).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
In other words, I could accept Mashiro choosing to turn her back on painting forever (I certainly wouldn't like it, but I could accept it), as long as such a decision involved a careful weighing of all the pros and cons, including how her decision will affect others. In my view, that is simply a balanced, mature, and appropriately thoughtful approach to take when making major life decisions.
My problem is with this very concept of "I can accept your life choice as long as I agree with your decision-making process". And what if her "decision-making process" doesn't live up to your standards? Why are you assuming that she may have a faulty decision-making process just because she didn't make the choice you think she should have made? The whole thing starts at the very base and works its way up. If the base assumption is "everyone has the right to make their own decisions about how to live their lives, free from the judgement of others", then the assumption itself (that she probably didn't think this through) is offensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
It was (and I figure still is) " Mashiro has an obligation to at least consider that she has a great talent for painting and the consequences of turning down such a career"
I don't agree with this. In my view, Mashiro has no such "obligation". She was born with a gift, and she can choose how to use that gift however she wishes. She is not responsible in this regard to anyone but to herself, and no one should guilt her into thinking otherwise. That doesn't mean she either "should" or will make a "selfish choice", but I think she could, and if she does I think no one has the right to question it or call her out on it. Instead, I believe each person should live their own life in accordance with their own values, and let their example inspire others to make like decisions for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
All these rants and anger over Rita's action/words and Sorata's feeling... Is there something about Rita and Sorata thinking that reminds you of something? What experience did you have that enforces your anger at them?
For me, the personal freedom to choose your own destiny is fundamental to my philosophy of living. So the idea that Mashiro should be held accountable to other people for the way she uses or squanders her talents is fundamentally at odds with my beliefs. So this is why I cannot identify with the way Rita is behaving, because her actions are at fundamental odds with that core principle. Of course I understand that she is concerned, and sees herself as a friend, and wants to appeal to Mashiro to consider what she's given up. But, as I said, I think her approach is inappropriate (and is founded in a slanted concept of personal responsibility). Of course, I suspect that she will come to this realization in the show and be able to express her genuine concern properly in the end (and do what she needs to do). I am a bit... surprised (?) that the nature of that realization may not be clear to people in the audience if they believe that Rita's underlying belief is sound. That is more puzzling (?) to me than anything presented in the show itself.

Anyway, because this is a philosophical belief, I'm not sure that everyone will be able to agree about it in the end. But I hope that at least the belief/philosophy is clearer now. I will try to leave it at that.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-12-08 at 00:21.