View Single Post
Old 2012-03-30, 10:51   Link #28268
UsagiTenpura
Artist

Considering the idea that piece Beato is aware of being a fictional character...

I think thats right. That's why Shannon and Kanon consider themselves furniture. They are only roles for a story, fictional character. They do not have any freedom, nor any rights. They clearly do not have any future and must serve and be grateful until they are thrown away.
This fits very well with fictional characters aware of being so.
Beatrice is implied constantly to be partially a furniture as well.

Furthermore, I think the golden land and the meta-world are basically the same thing. Rather the golden land lies in accepting it.
I think its a sort of ultimate breaking the fourth wall world where there isnt any more distinction between fictional and real. I guess, its sorta like some anime that has the entire cast (including all the dead characters) going in vacation after the story is over, or other such thing (actually I just remembered arc 8 does something ridiculously similar to that).
In Uminekos case its more pertinent however as there are various levels of story.
You know like that story about a couple that became animals during the day/night and thus couldnt ever be together? Think about Battler being stuck in the level of mystery and beatrice on the level of Fantasy, seperate world stories, and they can only meet in that upper meta-world where such distinctions doesnt matter and I think it results in an intersting love story.

Edit: Also I think its possible that we got it all wrong. The mystery scenes are as figurative as fantasy scenes.
Beato and Battler not being together, to use my example, is a Meta-truth, and is absolute.
On the mystery side, to keep that relation, a story needs to exist to explain why Yasu and Battler arent together.
The mystery story, however, would be a fiction that represents that above truth.
It only makes sense, because Umineko is a fiction, and writers puts into their fictions stories based on things they lived, not the other way around.
So its like Ryuukishi translated as Beatrice translated as Yasu.

Last edited by UsagiTenpura; 2012-03-30 at 11:09.
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote