View Single Post
Old 2013-08-06, 22:14   Link #337
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Due primarily to RL issues, I haven't done any fanfic writing in awhile. For this reason, I've felt a bit rusty, and not up to delving back into Magica Wars.

However, I did have an idea for a short extension off of a previous PPPL ending. And given what I recently read in Madoka Magica ~The Different Story~, I felt that writing this would be quite cathartic for me.

It's an extension off of the ending here. Specifically, its an extension off of what I like to call "The GunBlade end" AKA a MamiSaya end. So it's in the same continuity as the earlier Touhou-based story is in.

This particular extension takes place about three months after Mami and Sayaka become girlfriends. I hope that PPPL readers, and fans of these two characters, enjoy.

Given how long its been since I've wrote any fanfic material, I welcome any and all constructive criticism here. I'd love to know what people think of this brief bit of writing.

Golden Sunsets
Clear Blue Skies

This witch battle was proving increasingly difficult. This witch had a giant green main body, shaped like an enormous fluffy one-person sofa. Out of that main body sprung a vast array of thorny vines. The total effect was that it towered over Sayaka and me as we fought against it. Given its plant-like appearance and enormity, fighting it left me feeling as though I was fighting Mother Nature herself.

After a few minutes of an intense stalemate, Sayaka desperately dashed downwards into the witch’s main body, making intense two-handed thrusts into it with her sword. Though a decidedly risky move, I can’t truly fault Sayaka for it. This witch had a tendency to regenerate itself, especially its extraneous portions and vines. My muskets proved largely ineffective against it, as did Sayaka throwing blades at it.

Sayaka’s zealous attack had left the witch screaming, and with a strange purple-colored substance squiring out of its main body, appearing like a mixture of blood and vinegar, while carrying an awful stench. But while Sayaka’s attack had met with us finally making headway in the fight with the witch, it also left Sayaka vulnerable to a counterattack. The witch’s vines recoiled, and they were then used to ensnare Sayaka!

Sayaka’s body soon became enwrapped by several thorny vines, and cuts began appearing all over her body! I was deeply distressed and horrified at the sight. With some shame, I must admit that I briefly froze in terror, my sweat now producing more bullets than my muskets.

“…Ma-Mami!” Sayaka had shouted out to me, “Shoot it! Shoot these vines off of me, please!”

I then took up my musket and aimed it towards the vines ensnaring Sayaka. As I took the position of a hunter aiming at the target, it became apparent to me that it would be exceedingly difficult for me to hit the vines without also hitting and harming Sayaka. Sweat continued to glisten on my brow…

“W-what are you waiting for?!” Sayaka exclaimed in desperate query, as her attempts to rip the vines off of her with her gloved hands was proving ineffectual.

In the heat of the moment, and upon hearing the frenzied cries for aid coming from my dearest friend and lover, I felt very unsure of myself and uncertain of what to do. I couldn’t quickly conceive of any way to defeat this witch that wouldn’t also imperil Sayaka!

Sayaka then gestured one arm upwards while magically conjuring forth a sword in the air immediately above her. Sayaka took hold of the hilt of that sword, and started hacking away at the vines that were ensnaring her. I breathed a sigh of relief as this seemed to be working. But it didn’t work for long as one vine struck Sayaka’s hand, causing her to drop her newly conjured sword.

That sword dropped to the ground below, about one hundred feet from me. Before Sayaka could conjure forth another sword, the vines simply overwhelmed her. Both of her wrists were held tight as though in handcuffs, and her mouth had been covered! Sayaka made some muffled noises of horror and struggle as I could hear her crying due to the pressure being applied to her.

Seeing this was too much for me. First with mouth opened in terror, but then with teeth clenched in impassioned resoluteness, I raced forward to gather up Sayaka’s fallen sword! During this race, I dodged the witch’s vine attacks, making a final tumbling roll before grabbing hold of Sayaka’s blade. With blood pumping, and adrenaline flowing, I then torpedoed upward, my emotions riding as high as they ever have!

With a large battle cry, I sliced through one of two vines that I had to dispatch in order to free Sayaka! Unfortunately, I found the second vine hard to cut, and I struggled against it.

The muffled noises coming from Sayaka became increasingly loud, as I think that she was worried about my well-being given the position I was now in. But I could not stop! I had to free her!

Quite thankfully, I freed her just in time to avoid myself getting impaled through the chest by a particularly sharp-ended vine. Sayaka collapsed to the ground, still with many vines all about her, while I landed next to her on my feet, like a cat. The vines remaining on Sayaka were now dead, so Sayaka was easily able to remove them from around her, and from around her mouth.

Sayaka breathed deeply to recapture her breath, while I stared at the roaring witch, enraged over the damage that had been done to it. I conjured forth several golden strands to hold it in place.

“Tiro… Tiro Finale…” Sayaka said breathlessly, while leaning over her sword and coming to her feet.

“Yes, you’re probably right.” I replied.

Keeping with Sayaka’s suggestion, I used my finishing maneuver to finally end this horrific witch struggle. The witch’s barrier dissipated, and a grief seed fell, just as Sayaka had fully composed herself.

“Are you alright?” I asked Sayaka, in a formal tone to try to hide how deeply distraught her temporary plight had made me.

“Am I alright?” Sayaka asked rhetorically, and incredulously, “Mami… what were you thinking in there?!”

Sayaka rushed over to me, and took hold of my shoulders, as she asked me that question.

“What do you mean?” I asked in turn, “The witch is defeated. We now have a Grief Seed to share. …There is no need for further alarm is there?”

Admittedly, I was playing coy here. I suspected what Sayaka was alarmed by, but I simply didn’t want to deal with it. It was not a conversation that I desired to have with her.

“…Do you know how much you scared me in there?” Sayaka asked, her cheeks flustered and her eyes a bit watery.

“…Can we save this discussion until we get back to my home, at least?” I asked, while my eyes looked downwards and away from Sayaka’s penetrating eyes that never failed to carry such penetrating emotion…

“… Ok, fine.” Sayaka said after sighing and calming down a bit, “I guess it really isn’t the sort of thing to talk about publically anyway.”

Sayaka and I then transformed back into civilian attire, specifically into our student uniforms. We then walked back to my apartment, side-by-side. During the walk home, I felt Sayaka reach out her hand towards mine, and then grab my hand firmly. I smiled at her while she did so, as the gesture was romantic. But there was a worrisome intensity to the hold, foreshadowing the argument to come…

After we arrived at my home, I placed the Grief Seed on the transparent triangular table in the lounging area, while Sayaka shut the door behind us.

“I’ll get some tea for us.” I said, “I think that we both need some refreshments after an unusually difficult witch fight.”

Sayaka said nothing to that, but went along with it. She took her usual place at my table, and I soon joined her, bringing a teapot and two teacups with me. I poured out some tea for both of us.

“There’s a scar-wound on the back of your hand.” Sayaka said, “Let me heal it.”

“Ok.” I replied, just noticing the scar myself, “Just a second.”

Sayaka tenderly took hold of my scarred hand. While holding her Soul Gem in her other hand, she used magic to fully heal the wound on my hand.

“Mami, do you remember what caused this wound?” Sayaka asked.

“I honestly don’t recall being struck there, but it must have been caused by the witch, of course. I guess in the heat of the moment I never noticed it.” I answered.

“How could you not feel that?” Sayaka asked.

“Why are you fussing over it?” I asked, becoming slightly irritated by Sayaka’s line of questioning, “It’s nothing compared to the abuse that you took upon yourself.”

“I use swords, and I can regenerate due to my healing abilities.” Sayaka said, “So I can take certain risks that you shouldn’t be taking. Speaking of those risks…”

“Why don’t you just thank me for saving your life?” I ask in a stern tone, while closing my eyes and raising an eyebrow, “Don’t you think that would be the appropriate thing to do here, Sayaka?”

Sayaka’s facial appearance softened given my statement. It also fed into her tendency towards self-loathing. I hated using that against her, but I was in no mood to have my actions questioned. Not given what the alternative would have been…

“…I know I was pretty useless out there today.” Sayaka said, with a deep tone of shame, “I’m sorry about that. But…”

“You weren’t useless.” I said softly, after sipping some of my tea, “You were the first one to manage to damage that witch. You also made the right suggestion in the end. The suggestion for me to use Tiro Finale.”

“…Why don’t you use that more often, Mami?” Sayaka asked.

“It consumes a lot of magical energy.” I answered, “So I prefer to use it as a last resort.”

“Well, given how long I was just held up in the air there, ensnared by all those awful vines…” Sayaka stated.

“You’re wondering why I never used Tiro Finale then, or at least why I never tried to use my muskets to free you.” I replied, determining that I might as well address this 800 pound elephant in the room.

“Well, yeah…” Sayaka confirmed.

“I wasn’t confident that I could do either without hurting you.” I said, with a light touch of added emotion in my voice, “And I wasn’t willing to take that risk.”

“But you were willing to risk getting in dangerously close to that witch while using a sword?!” Sayaka asked in amazement.

“It was the only way I could think of to free you, Sayaka…” I said, while my facial expression betrayed how worried about her I had become.

There was a tender moment of understanding, where Sayaka and I made eye contact, and she could feel what I had felt. But it was a fleeting moment, as Sayaka’s own concerns soon renewed their hold in her mind.

“From our Puella Magi training together…” Sayaka began in reply, “We both know that I’m much better with swords than you are, just like you are much better with guns and muskets than I am. You have better aim, but I have greater arm-strength. And that showed today. You took a really reckless risk in that witch fight, Mami! I was so scared over what could happen to you!”

I deeply sighed, and tears came to my eyes.

“So what was I supposed to do, Sayaka?” I asked, my voice growing louder, through a disorienting mixture of anger, frustration, and love, “Was I supposed to just watch you get squeezed to death by those vines?!”

It was at this point that I put my teacup down in frustration, stood up, and walked away from Sayaka. I folded my arms, betraying how I wanted to be held right now.

Sayaka quickly rose, and walked up behind me, placing a hand on my shoulder.

“I’m sorry.” she said, “I said too much. But still… please don’t endanger yourself again like that! The thought of losing you like that…”

“And how do you think I feel about the thought of losing you?” I asked, as I turned my head sideways, to make eye contact with her.

“That doesn’t mean I want you taking major risks just for my sake, Mami!” Sayaka exclaimed in reply.

“This is a morbid topic I don’t enjoy raising, but given how we risk our lives as Puella Magi, it is one that can’t be avoided…” I say in a low tone, “If I was to die in battle with a witch, I would still have gained more life thanks to the wish I had made. I would have ended up no worse than what I would have otherwise. I could rest easily knowing what I had accomplished in life, including wonderful times I have spent with you.”

“Ma-Mami!” Sayaka stated in alarm.

“Don’t get me wrong…” I replied, “I know such a thing would be very hard on you, which is why I wish to keep living, not just for my own sake, but for yours as well. But if you ever lose me, Sayaka, at least you still have two caring, loving parents, and dear childhood friends. But if I was to lose you…”

After voicing those words… those wickedly wretched words… I couldn’t help but to start crying.

“You’re all I have, Sayaka…” I said, becoming uncharacteristically chocked up, and allowing my emotions to flow freely, “You’re all that I have!”

I think my words had moved Sayaka to the point of concession. I then felt her lovingly wrap one arm around my waist from behind me, while she nestled her head next to mine. She also lightly caressed my left arm with her left hand.

“I understand.” Sayaka said soothingly to me, “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have become upset with you. I can see why you did what you did. But please… please try to avoid taking risks like that in the future. I’ll do my best to ensure that you don’t have to.”

I then turned about as Sayaka’s hold loosened. Our emotions had been laid bare, and had been frayed around the edges. It was time for comfort… and love.

I wrapped my arms around Sayaka, while she did the same towards me. I leaned my head slightly upwards, at a slight angle, while parting my lips. We then kissed, as I delighted in her sweet sporty scent and dreamily soothing hold.

“I love you…” Sayaka said to me, stroking my face with one hand, after our kiss ended at last, “I promise you that you will never lose me, Mami.”

“I promise you the same…” I replied in turn, as her eyes and I were both now watery, “I love you to!”

I was deeply relieved that our argument met with a good resolution; that resolution being our recommitting ourselves to one another. Sayaka and I held each other in this comforting embrace, after having been girlfriends for three months now. But I hope that those three months can become something permanent in my life. Something that I can always cherish…

The End

Last edited by Triple_R; 2013-08-13 at 18:47. Reason: Slight editing fixes.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote