View Single Post
Old 2012-02-17, 12:55   Link #233
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post

I've been watching anime regularly since 2005 and currently running shows since 2007. My "hit" rate is still way above 10%.
Here here! I've been watching anime since 1998 and my hit rate is way way WAY above 10%!

Quote:
Also, I think most people would judge "generic" to mean crap. Why? Because generic stuff, by it's very nature, is boring. And the worst thing a piece of entertainment can be is boring.

If something is exactly like everything else (hence "generic"), then what's the point of reading it? How can it suprise you, how can it deliver an experience you haven't already received 100 times before. Now some people never get bored with certain things, which is why generic stuff manages to make money. But most of us do get bored.
Well it depends on whether or not the WHOLE thing is "generic". What if you have a generic story but compelling characters? What if you have a compelling story but generic characters? Generic artwork but great story and characters? Like Miho Obana. (author of Kodomo No Omocha) Her art is something you'll see 100 times over in shoujo manga and it's nothing special. But damn, is she amazing with characterization and emotional, realistic situations! So she's one of my favorites.

The same situation in a manga can be done over and over by hundreds of different authors. But that doesn't mean the execution is going to be the same every time. Some can do it much better than others. It's all about pacing and atmosphere and dialogue etc. How do you use them to your strongest advantage?

Quote:
You're not any special.
How dare you say that! You mean my parents and teachers LIED to me!?

Quote:
Once you start down the path of accusing others for playing god for having opposing subjective taste, you hold no ground in an argument.
I'm not accusing Sturgeon of 'playing god'. I just want to know why others are following his opinion so straightforwardly.