View Single Post
Old 2013-01-19, 14:37   Link #70
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I personally really hate this trend of heaps of mediocre galge influenced gutter trash collections of paper with hackered sentences straight out of 2chan posts as titles, which offend us by calling itself "novels".

"I Can't Believe My Osananajimi Is Sleeping With My Mother Who Is Secretly the Maoh and I'm the Chosen Yuusha Who Fails At School Oh Look I Just Made A Light Novel Title wwwwww"

I'm about to resort to some hearty medieval style tradition of good ol' book burnin'.

Before this nonsense got called "light novels", at the dawn of the genre's birth, were some good sci-fi and fantasy novels written for young adults and teens, which I have fond memories of reading in my youth back in the 80s. They were basically the Japanese equivallent of Dragonlance and Xanth. Now that industry has turned into nothing but breeding ground for failed eroge writers.

Not saying there aren't any good LN anymore, but honestly, vast majoity it is steaming pile of dung.
I think you prejudge some of these, which I used to do too. Some of these long titled light novels are not as bad as they seemed to be (once in a while, you get a few that touch on deeper emotions and themes alongside their slapstick comedy). And if you want to lay blame and dispense your hate, you should extend it to the group of readers who are feeding the industry, and the society which has created such a group of readers. Not to mention that what determines entertainment value to one is subjective. And what you like and enjoy might be garbage to others *shrug* Though I agree somewhat with some of your points, I won't go so far as to start becoming self-righteous on what constitutes good literature and call what others enjoy dung............ And I don't get why you are bringing galge and eroge in, I certainly don't feel anything in such books I read resembling those, all I get from those I read is a good dose of laughter and face-palming.

On a side note, Dragonlance was nostalgic. The fact that most of major stories and trilogies were written by the same authors, Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman, makes it very coherent and enjoyable to me. I also applaud the effort the publishers made in making FR stories coherent through the tough scrutiny on the manuscripts. Though those were the old days...... And speaking of trash, the West also have a fair amount of literature which I personally would consider trash.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote