View Single Post
Old 2007-03-27, 14:16   Link #9
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

KarumA ... you kind of missed the problem --- virtually all DVD player hardware will allow you to put in and play DVDs from any region, but after FIVE TIMES of changing regions, it'll lock and only play DVDs from the last region-code it flipped to. Its one of the early examples of hardware manufacturers caving in to the B.S. anti-freetrade pressure of the movie industry (their apparent slogan being: GLOBALIZATION for us, NOT for the consumer).

To avoid that you have to do one of the following:
1) use software that doesn't flick the region code switch (like the player software TheFluff mentions or an "inbetween" software that intercepts the command like I mentioned).
2) buy two player drive units and mark and set each one to a different region.
3) IF YOU HAVE a player drive unit that can be hacked, you can send it a firmware command as demonix suggests... but not all units can be fixed this way.

Most free-standing DVD players have the same problem: five region code changes and it locks in the last code. Some players can be hacked via their remote using special key sequences to turn that off. But choose your free-standing player wisely.

For example, I have a reasonably expensive SONY player in my den that is hardware crippled to region 1 (they cripple it at manufacture depending on where it is to be sold to bow down to their movie division).

For that reason, I can't recommend SONY players at all anymore no matter how wonderful they may be. Before buying a player, check to see if that specific model can be hacked without having to solder something (google is your friend). Better yet, don't support that crap -- buy a region-free player (e.g. j-list.com carries a few brands).