View Single Post
Old 2011-04-04, 12:54   Link #2870
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Star Driver is a FABULOUS anecdote that will make you laugh hard the first few times you hear it before it becomes repetitive and dull. And you need to endure it 25 times.

One will wonder why is this a full season anime, when the trend became a half season; especially for an anime whose story could easily be summed up in 3 episodes.

Many compare it to Revolutionary Girl Utena for its repetitive format, liberal take on relationships and WTF sceneries but in practice it is nowhere NEAR as good as Utena. It doesn’t really offer symbolisms, allusions, indirect messages towards freedom from taboos; it’s just fooling around aimlessly.

It is also closer to fujoshi fans rather than mecha fans, as the robot action is so far-fetched and repetitive, it loses interest fast. I mean, Tengen Toppa Gurenn Lagann was also far-fetched, but at least it had an on-going plot and stuff would build up along the way. Here, it is nothing.

Even the weird mystery around the maidens and the cybodies and the rest of the whacky S&M Kiraboshi, quickly become unimportant before laughing for the 25th time with the same transformation sequence and wondering which guy will kiss which… guy. And even that is never shown, so what gives?

And who even remembers after awhile that the lead is originally there to look for his father? Not even him apparently.

Kenshiro in Hokuto no Ken is one of the most GAR leads ever but he is far more interesting because there is plot there and because he doesn’t need huge robots or even weapons to turn his opponents into mince-meat. But GALACTIC PRETTY BOY (lol what a ridiculous name) always needs his robot to play it almighty, yet none of the villains attack him when he is away from it even when they know who he is and where he is. It’s as if they don’t even care to win.

There are no redeeming qualities in this show for me; it is brain-dead entertainment that outlasted its welcome by about 22 episodes. There are no memorable characters or battles outside of the protagonist’s name and transformations. The episodic nature ruins any replay value too and it was fun only the first few times you see the same thing happening.

Is it me or does Pokemon offer more plot and story and far more subconscious messages than Star Driver? I mean, really, Utena on one side, Pokemon in the middle and SD in the other side.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote