View Single Post
Old 2011-03-11, 22:28   Link #56
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by naikou View Post
Ah, so Rokkenjima had 900 tons of explosives, despite being understaffed.

I retract all previous statements, this one fact proves that Ryukishi is a terrible author.
Well, it doesn't have to be. It could be that they actually transferred the explosives to Rokkenjima, but the sudden turn of events in the war made it impossible to neither ship out any material for torpedo construction, nor to safely transport the explosives back to larger bases on Honshû.
I actually understood it that way, that Kinzô used his strong contacts within the GHQ to make it easier for him when buying Rokkenjima, without the island actually being checked, because he was being trusted.

And while of course those amounts of explosives seem rather silly, it's not impossible to imagine that the military groups that stocked those on Rokkenjima would keep it a secret from GHQ. There were many people who refused to accept the defeat of Japan and kept their loyalty to a defunct system, so I could imagine that 1 or 2 bases could have 'dissappeared' from observation in order to ensure a certain arsenal for a comeback ... even though that never happened.

It is highly fictional, but not any more than most stories involving surviving Nazi groups which became a popular trope in the west. There are enough stories dealing with secret facilities that were never discovered and those same modern legends exist in Japan.
Of course this is more or less a trope found in spy fiction, but that genre is not so far from mystery and detective fiction.

Explosives being hidden under Rokkenjima might be improbable but not implausible.
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote