View Single Post
Old 2011-11-29, 16:31   Link #181
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
I've always been a total animation addict since I was three or four. I had Hello Kitty stuff and I watched The Littl' Bits, the Noozles, and Maya The Bee on Nick Jr's daily line-up for the younger kids. But I didn't know they were anime-I just watched them because they were "cartoons".
When I was around twelve years old, I took an art course being offered to younger kids at a community college. A girl there had cards with colorful girls who had really big eyes. I thought they were neat-looking and I asked her about her cards; she told me about Sailor Moon. I started watching it on Toonami every day and got totally hooked. In seventh grade, a boy "asked me out" (lol 13-year-old dating LOL) and I mentioned how I loved Sailor Moon. He said, "Oh yeah...anime, it's from Japan." And I was like o_o "SO THAT'S why Sailor Moon is so different from other cartoons! (I could tell it was foreign but I didn't know Japanese back then lol)
Once I learned that anime was a complete genre of animation, I started renting everything I could get my hands on! I went from Sailor Moon to Ranma 1/2, to Tenchi Muyo to Evangelion. Since it was the golden age of the late 90s, video stores also "underground" OVAs and I got to see Gunsmith Cats, Burn Up, Battle Angel, and Birdy the Mighty.
It was a magical time. XD

Oh, and I also thought "cartoons with nudity and swearing" was the most hilarious thing ever. I'd run around and show everyone the back of the VHS covers. "LOOK, IT SAYS NUDITY!! AND PROFANITY!! AND SEXUAL SITUATIONS! PARENTAL GUIDANCE SUGGESTED!! ISN'T THAT CRAZY!? HAHAHA!! "

.............what a n00b.

When I turned 14, my family took a trip to the Grand Canyon. I had developed the habit of grabbing the phone book and looking up anime stores whenever I traveled to a new place (and we travel a lot). I found a store and bought (!) my first fansub (The SuperS movie) on VHS. When the guy said it was only going to be in Japanese, I was wary, but lo and behold I fell in love with the foreign audio; the girls' voices were too adorable! I decided I was going to learn it so I changed my language choice from German to Japanese.

Last edited by Chiibi; 2011-11-29 at 16:47.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote