View Single Post
Old 2011-09-01, 23:15   Link #561
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
While I certainly see value in teaching kids the importance of hard work and practice, I think it's also good for kids at a young age to realize that sheer natural talent is important and will make a difference in life... such as the sheer natural talent that Yui clearly has.

Learning that at a young age will enable kids to accept this earlier, I think. It'll let them accept that it's not always the hardest working person who does the best. That life can be... unfair that way.
They could have easily dealt with the hard work aspect and done more to emphasize Yui's natural talent, but then again they seemed more concerned with showing the super happy moe moe high school life thing. As it stands I don't think it accomplished either the showing of life being unfair(really with a show that sugary? That's a pretty big stretch my friend) and natural talent on display.

Quote:
Oh, another show that might be helpful here, and that your avatar made me think of... the original Mobile Suit Gundam. Amuro Ray didn't really need to work all that hard at mastering that Gundam, eh? He just hops into it during a disaster, and it all comes naturally to him. Strange that Gundam never really gets criticized much for this sort of stuff (and it happens a lot), but K-On does...
Yes, well see here's the thing. If you want to talk talent/hard work and sacrifice Gundam actually pulls that off quite adequately IMO. The newtype aspect of Amuro's character allows him a natural talent at working Mobile Suits, but despite all of his powers of precognition and what not he still can't save all his friends and allies and still has to make sacrifices, get hurt and suffer along the way in order to end the war. I think the Soldiers of Sorrow arc shows this most adequately where he brags about all of his talent, ends up deserting and not wanting to put the hard work in and the end result is that it gets Ryu Jose killed in the end. After this he realizes that he has to smarten up, put the work into piloting the MS to get better and then he'll be better suited to defend the White Base.

It's a gradual process (Amuro starts barely being able to defend himself against Char's Zaku) and nothing good comes without hard work and sacrifice and this is something I felt Gundam showed, whereas K-On does not; Opting instead to have Yui go from zero to guitar goddess in the span of a single episode. This just strikes me as completely unrealistic and again something I would not want to teach my children. I'm sorry, but no matter how much natural talent you have, you still need to practice in order to master your craft. I doubt the likes of Jimmy Page would tell you that he got where he was with his guitar playing by sitting around and eating cake.