View Single Post
Old 2012-11-03, 15:09   Link #2052
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Personally, I've always been a fan of the idea of "civil service" requirements, say, for anyone 18-20 required and then after that it was voluntary. (kind of like the "reserve" in other countries - or a cleaned up version of the "citizen militia/civil defense").

But yeah, the sense of community just isn't there so I'd have no idea how to bootstrap something like that.
100% agree with this.
As Thomas Jefferson once wrote to Peter Carr in 1785:
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore by the constant companion of your walks."

Mixed with civil service (like helping to clean up trash, etc.) a properly formed, regulated (trained), and funded militia would do wonders for the youth of the US today.
I served 4 years in the USAF, 2 in the National Guard, and am still a member of the CMP after 20 years. It has done me a great deal of good in helping to build confidence, character, and a sense of responsibility to my community (which includes facing down local officials at town meetings who are corrupt).

I long for the return of the Dept. of Civilian Marksmanship that Theodore Roosevelt created for just that purpose.