Thread: Licensed Negima Manga Discussion
View Single Post
Old 2004-09-28, 22:38   Link #204
Sydney2K

Send a message via ICQ to Sydney2K Send a message via AIM to Sydney2K Send a message via MSN to Sydney2K Send a message via Yahoo to Sydney2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaphanus
Anyway, I would like to know more about those cards! Some of the information on them seems pretty cryptic to me now: tonus and directio.
OK, here's some interesting interpretations of the cards (I've left Konoka, Setsuna and Nodoka off, because they have been contracted, and so their abilities is already known- and it's spoilers to describe them):

Asuna: BELLATRIX SAUCIATA/WOUNDED FEMALE WARRIOR

I figure that (from the image) Asuna's power is that of a fighter, but what does the 'wounded' mean? Wouldn't that be classified as a weakness? I interpret that as meaning 'fights even when she is wounded', something that's backed up with her virtue being 'audacity', or boldness and daring. Being wounded is a sign of bravery (witness the 'Purple Heart' as an award for being wounded in combat.) The card would then enhance her combat abilities, with possibly improving her constitution, so she can fight longer.

Makie: ARMATURA QUINQUIPLEX/FIVE-FOLD EQUIPMENT

Makie is an acrobatic gymnast, so why five-fold equipment? We know from Vol. 2 that she is able to use her gymnastic ribbon as a limb extension. Well, (I could be wrong) but isn't there five disciplines as a female gymnast? The uneven bars, the mat, the pommel horse, the balancing bar and the rings- all of which involve great dexterity and strength. The enhancement of those abilities would make Makie some kind of super gymnast- able to balance on the thinnest wall, being able to squeeze through the smallest crack. Her virtue is 'hope', so she is also cheerful and able to inspire when things are low.

Chisame: IDOLUM VIRTUALE/VIRTUAL IDOL

I originally thought that with her computer skills Chisame would have the ability to manipulate computer systems, perhaps even be able to access and enter the cyberworld. Whilst this is still possible, I am wondering if perhaps she has a different skill- that of disguise. We know that she dresses up and becomes a totally different person in appearance- perhaps her skill is just that, but to a higher degree. She can disguise herself as anyone and be totally convincing. Her virtue is 'moderation', which generally means placed in the centre, not at the extremes. However, we know she doesn't like Negi, and equally doesn't care so much about her fellow students, whilst everyone else thinks Negi is the bees' knees. Perhaps she is able to see what things are, whilst everyone can be mistaken or deceived (liking Negi can be seen as an extreme position). After all, it takes a master deceiver to be able to see a deception.

Shina: HILARATRIX FORTUNANS/FORTUNIZING CHEERLEADER

Shina hasn't been featured as much as the others, so I think her character isn't as clear to me. But being a cheerleader, she is meant to inspire others to victory. Perhaps her power is to be an inspiring force, especially when things look bad. 'Fortunising' isn't a word, but it's meaning is clear- 'to make fortunate'. Shina pushes the odds back into her side's favour. She also has the virtue of audacity- in this case, she encourages and emboldens others to work and play harder- all part of being a cheerleader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaphanus
I didn't notice that flying turtle until you mentioned it! How cute!
You need to read Love Hina!

Widya Santoso
Sydney2K is offline   Reply With Quote