View Single Post
Old 2006-11-24, 00:35   Link #1
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Visiting somewhere other than Japan

In contrast to going to the "Visiting Japan" thread, here's one for the rest of the people.
(READ: If you want to visit Japan, use the Visiting Japan thread)

Why did I create it?

Animesuki is a great place for everyone in the world to gather around and talk about anime. Why not create a thread for people who want to go to other countries then?

Example:

Animesuki member A lives in Greece.
Animesuki member B lives in the USA and wants to go to Greece.
Animesuki member A gives him pointers about Greece, and perhaps might be willing to provide him with local info on cheap hotels and the like that most people outside of Greece won't know about. Or, if member A is generous enough, he may even invite member A to crash at his joint to save traveling costs.

So, carry on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Several places I would love to go visited places in red:

Athens, Greece Visited October 2007

Stayed near Syntagma Square, beautiful place though I was surprised how many racist youths are in Greece... Being able to see the Parthenon up close fulfilled my dreams ever since I fell in love with Saint Seiya as a little kid.

Went on a cruise out of Piraeus to Mykonos, Kusadasi (Turkey), Patmos, Heraklion, and Thira/Santorini. I especially loved the caldera view from Thira!!

I was supposed to go back to Mykonos on an airplane out of Athens, but a certain emergency prevented that from happening... I aim to get revenge and visit Mykonos and Thira/Santorini again, this time with my ever-non-existing fiancee.... [cries in corner]

Prague, Czech Republic Visited March 2008

Transited through here over-night while I was on a business trip. Since I had no intention of stay/sleeping at the airport, I went out of Praha Airport and bought a 24 day pass good for the bus and the Metro.

Checked out the cool Astronomical Clock in Old Town Prague, must've looked better if it were during the day. As luck would have it, there was a Smetana/Dvorak classical concert playing at the National Theatre so I bought it at the stand a treated myself to listening to Smetana's Ma Vlast and Dvorak's New World, two Czech musical composers being played in Prague by the Prague Royal Philharmonic!!! What a fantastic evening!

Went back to Old Town square, ate some nice Prague Ham, saw the Charles Bridge and the lightened up Prague Castle.

There, I befriended a group of American college students who snuck me into the hostel they were staying at. My first hostel experience, awkward, but interesting. Spent the night there with those students. I'm sure I wasn't supposed to be there!! www

After taking a short power sleep, I woke up at 5AM and took the tram to Mustek Metro station all the way to the end, rode on the bus all the way back to Praha Airport for my flight back home.

People think I'm crazy for doing such a thing, but I'd do it again if I had the chance! Hell yes, especially if it's Prague!

Cairo, Egypt (see the Sphinx and the Pyramids)
Cancun, Mexico (see Chichen Itza)
Barcelona, Spain (Sagrada Familia)
Stockholm, Sweden (I heard Japanese men are considered sexy there...might even fulfill my dreams of getting a blonde Swedish wife!)
Ljubljana, Slovenia (I've seen pictures of it at my local travel agency, and they were breathtaking!)
Lima, Peru (and Cuzco. One obvious reason: Macchu Picchu)

Last edited by kj1980; 2009-01-10 at 03:26.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote