View Single Post
Old 2011-10-14, 13:20   Link #594
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Ironic, really, but the impression I got from ep 1 was that the show would actually gain from the absence of Shu, and the concepts he brings along with himself. Ah well, it was still a good start, better than most other things this season, but sadly the final few minutes felt like they took away from the great world building effort the episode did before them, rather than added to it.
This.

However there was one other issue I had with this episode which I was discussing with a friend and it was simply how black and white, simplistic everything was. It just lacked any kind of subtlety in its story telling. We're just led to believe that these foreign occupiers are bad people and that's it. This show would benefit far more from not being so black and white, and being more grey. It does a lot of injustice to its setting and does not make quite the best use of it.

This is why I was saying earlier that not only do I hope Shu gets much better character exploration/development, but I also hope something or someone arises to provide an interesting foil to our main character to make this more interesting.

Still it's episode 1, and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now, but I guess I am a tiny bit uncomfortable that this show could swing in a bad direction pretty easily if not handled well.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote