View Single Post
Old 2007-03-23, 03:53   Link #72
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
No problem, relentlessflame. I know it's all good intentions and everything. Part of what I wanted to do by writing my review was to provide not just a score, but to justify the numbers I gave. I cited my sources and I gave examples. But the other thing that I felt was important was to give people a sense of how I came to my conclusions, and I thought that discussing myself would help that out a little.

The people who have posted their comments on this forum come from different backgrounds. Some are anime enthusiasts and I don't know how they judge. I can't speak on behalf of them nor can I speak on behalf of the fans who know Kanon better than I do. The only point of view I can really give is mine, someone who received a B.A. in filmmaking last June and is in the process of becoming a freelance writer. I was taught to view and criticize things in a particular way, record and edit with respect to particular rules. But I'm not saying things have to be done my way because I know what's best... because chances are I don't! There are other opinions and methods out there that make perfect sense. And ultimately, anime and film are two different things. Perhaps I tried to hard to make them seem alike. If I have appeared authoritative or condescending, it's only because I wanted to share with this community a couple things that I learned in school that could also apply here.

I wanted to be impartial when I wrote my column, but at the same time, I also wanted to state my personal opinion on how I thought Kanon could have been made better too. Like Meophist said, we are still writing our personal take on the series. But I guess I took advantage of my position which clouded my objectivity. In the end, I suppose I was just curious if others felt the same joy and frustration as I did when particular events unfolded. That by describing the changes I wished for in detail, it would culminate into some sort of group response such as "I agree with you" or "I disagree". I'm happy that a lot of people concur with my suggestions, but I can't help but feel a little selfish and guilty now.

You asked me what was the write-up's purpose? Half of it was to see if others could relate to what I was thinking; half of it is simply the ramblings of a fool who couldn't get the ending he wanted. I won't joke; Asianknight82 read my mind. I wanted a Nayuki ending very badly because I liked her more. I suppose I let my frustrations carry my discussions forward that, upon rereading my write-up again, is more about what I would have liked to see done than honest-to-god objectivity.

Everything in my review was intended to be just an opinion. If I have sounded like a bigot or have been insulting in that or subsequent posts in this thread, then I apologize right here and right now.
Zaris is offline   Reply With Quote