View Single Post
Old 2007-06-01, 20:30   Link #1052
johnishida
Bishoujo Lover!

Send a message via MSN to johnishida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erio View Post
As I mentioned a couple of pages ago, Fate's scythe's blade is Lightning elemental. Elemental magic does physical damage (thus it is able to penetrate a drone's AMF). That's why when she hits Signum, we can see a bruise on Signum's skin.

Now, since Lightning is an pure element--that is, it is not something you can "grab", or to explain myself better, think of it as water-- some may confuse it to be "pure energy". However, there's plenty of evidence so far that proves that elemental magic is very different from pure energy magic, as pure energy spells, such as Divine Buster and Starlight Breaker, deal only magical damage.

Now this part is pure speculation: I believe that a Linker Core emits pure energy. The mage then takes this pure energy to form spells. Nanoha did not have any magical training in season 1, and thus she could only take this pure energy emitted from her Linker Core and blast it away (Divine Buster). However, more experienced mages, such as Fate at that time, are able to take this pure energy and convert it into a magical element. For this reason, I believe that elemental mages are more advanced than regular mages. An example: Teana so far only has pure energy attacks.

Also, about the barrier jackets, I believe they only defend against magic damage. You need to use Shield defense to repel physical damage attacks (this part is only based on speculation, though)
I can agree with that. BJs may have a minor physical defenses capacity... That may be the reason why some close combat mages, like Fate, include shield like arm protectors.

Also, for those who read the manga, it was explained that there were different types of Magic Defences: Fields, Barriers, Shield and Real Shields.

Fields give certain effects to barriers likes: Healing, environment protection, etc

Barriers protect from magical damage by absorbing it.

Shields protect from physical damage using a opposing type of magic that makes the attacks rebound on the shield.

And the real shield is any kind of physical object that is used to protect yourself. I guess they can be used to protect yourself from magic and physical damage.