View Single Post
Old 2010-06-06, 01:11   Link #10855
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
I find it very hard to accept that EP3-6 ever popped up on the internet. If that's true, it means that the Ange scenes of EP4 are almost certainly false. The "Ange" who talks to Featherinne is supposedly the Ange from EP4, but are we supposed to believe that Ange read a story which exactly predicted her trip to the island right before she headed to the island? Not only would the author need to predict the future, but you'd also need Ange act out a role she had read in a story, act surprised every time she discovered something, and have everything turn out exactly as the story said even with her foreknowledge. In other words, the whole "Ange read EP3-5 on her way to Rokkenjima" thing is pretty close to impossible unless the only true scene in the entire set of games is the one in which Ange meets Hachijo... and part of that scene shifts into the meta world, so the only real scene in the entire game is the very last part, when Ange says "is that Featherinne person supposed to be you?".

In other words, we have no reliable evidence that anyone ever wrote EP3-6 anywhere, and in fact we have much more evidence to the contrary.
At the same time, are we going to believe that these things exist in a vacuum, yet the message bottle stories don't? I find that very improbable.

I do agree the Featherinne scene is, if not merely chronologically, completely impossible, but remember: We don't know what the difference is between the stories we see and the stories Ange would've read. The "episodes" may only feature the 1986 board stories. It seems unlikely the meta-world existed in the message bottle stories (and ep2 has a meta-world), and if that's possible, why not Ange's 1998 as well? We don't know what's written (well, it's all written, but written-within-the-writing) and what's not.

I think a more intriguing prospect is that there were multiple authors for ep3-6. Touya/Featherinne is a composite of all those who read the message bottle stories and sought to understand something. What they wanted to understand isn't necessarily always the same for each person, and people have wildly different takes on the canon and characters; some have no problem inserting people like Eva-Beatrice or Erika, others shy away from it. The meta-world could offer us hints as to who these authors are. And perhaps these are compilations of the stories which touch "the truth" that Umineko in general is trying to explain. Even a "bad" story, like ep5, is said to contain a "piece of Beatrice" in it. That is why Virgilia and Ronove didn't tell Battler the entire episode was a complete waste of time.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote