View Single Post
Old 2012-03-01, 22:52   Link #771
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Rocket Elite View Post
I can't prove causation beyond a shadow of a doubt. I can only point out the correlation between characters suddenly doing worse than usual when paired with another character from the same series.
And under certain circumstances, I can see that correlation pointing to causation. As I wrote before, I can see it playing a role with mid-tier matches where sheer name recognition plays a role.

I mean, I'm sure there's some arenas were a lot of voters only know 2 to 4 of the girls in it, and a girl having the name recognition that comes with being a character in a popular show can be helpful.

Now, if you get a three-way split going on here (such as Kyouko, Mami, and Sayaka all being in one arena) then yeah, I can see one or more (primarily the weakest) girl getting hurt here. And sure enough, Sayaka unfortunately got killed here, doing significantly worse than she usually does.

But once name recognition isn't an issue any more - Once you have many of the strongest girls sharing an Arena together - I don't think that sharing an arena with other girls from your anime show will have significant impact if you have multiple votes to go around.

That's my position right now, as it makes sense to me, and fits with what I've seen and can recall of ISML 2012 so far.

As for how I would define faction voting - To me, it simply means wanting to see a particular anime show do well in these competitions through having multiple representatives of it do well (so it's similar if not identical to your own definition). If faction voting had played a role in Nova 0 then there shouldn't be such a large difference between Kanade's vote total and the vote totals of Yuri and Yui combined.

Quote:
Everyone splits with everyone else and the splitting is disproportionately harmful if the characters are from the same series. Yuri and Yui splitting with Kanade causes Kanade to end up closer to the non-Angel Beats field than if Yuri and Yui were replaced with characters of similar strength but unrelated to Angel Beats.
I disagree, as I'm still not convinced of that. I respect your view, but my thinking is much closer to Last Sinner's here.