View Single Post
Old 2013-06-27, 12:32   Link #109
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
For esper, it's as natural as walking or running to a normal person to use their abilities.

It takes plenty of calculations to run too, just that you don't realize it because it's so natural.
There are other examples in the real world. Catching a fly ball. Scientists wanted to figure out how people do it. Their first assumption was that people used a visual cue to calculate were to run to. If true then people should run in a curve to catch the ball as they continually update the calculation.

Amateur baseball players did exactly that, but professional baseball players just ran in a straight line, sometime with their eyes off the ball. The calculation to do this would require 3 dimensional calculus. Does anyone think baseball players are consciously using calculus equations?

I myself used to be able to solve multidimensional equations in my head. I couldn't explain how, I just knew the answer. Ticked my teachers off quite a bit. I didn't even realize what I was doing until I became very ill and lost the ability to do it. My sophomore year in college I had to relearn how to do math because I couldn't visualize more than 4 dimensions in my head any more.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote