Thread: Licensed Simoun
View Single Post
Old 2006-10-10, 01:08   Link #2101
yononaka
nani ni tatoemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I do think your comment about my comment regarding what another poster said was actually unfair. I was commenting on how he related the ideas in the show to important parts of his own life. It is a fact that he did that. It elevated my opinion of him that he was willing to say what he did, and able to say it so well. And it elevated my opinion of the show that it could inspire him to do it.
I certainly wasn't in any way putting down the fact that he talked about his feelings and situation. [If you think I did, FPB, I'm sorry.] It just seemed to me that he was at a point where he was mostly just looking to vent. Simoun may have provided the outlet, but I doubt that can serve as "proof of the greatness of this show". If only things that are "great" could lead us to deep thoughts and realizations, the world wouldn't be half as interesting.

Quote:
I do apologize for any offense given. Perhaps I should stop saying such things. But I am afraid that it is what I believe. It's not an assumption, it's an observation. I think the stuff is there. You don't. Fair enough. I'm just expressing my opinion.

And nothing you have said has convinced me to change it. How can I not see it as a failure of your perception if I believe something is there that you believe is not? You are certainly free to see my failures, and you have mentioned some before. I haven't made a point of going to the SP thread to express these things, I'm just here preaching to the choir, so to speak.
Why does this have to be about me changing your mind? You're making it sound like I have a problem with you enjoying the show. I don't. I just don't enjoy the implication that dissenting opinions are caused by "failures of perception" rather than any number of other possible reasons. As FPB said: "Also, I think that if you don't relate to Simoun on a personal level, you'll miss out on most of what makes it so enjoyable. It's not that you're not intelligent or that you don't 'get it;' different people relate to different things and on different levels." (Although, technically, I think that even the concept of "missing out" is invalidated by the second sentence )

And it's not all about Simoun vs SP for me. Like I said before, I'm far from being a hardcore fan of SP. I just don't see why it's necessary to build up an elitist atmosphere around a show.

Quote:
The general indifference or hostility to Simoun therefore baffles me, so I look for explanations. I don't expect people who like action shows or moe shows to rush to this title, but I really do expect people who like Honey and Clover, for example, to appreciate it. That they don't requires an explanation, and the look, language, and odd social context are the only ones I have been able to come up with. That I am completely mistaken and just inventing everything in a rush of enthusiasm is certainly a logical possibility, but one that I have looked at and rejected, lol.
I think there is a whole lot of territory between you inventing everything and someone looking beyond the surface of Simoun and still not enjoying it as much as you do. And I think some of your fellow fans here have put forth additional ideas about why it (i.e. Simoun not being appreciated) might have happened.
yononaka is offline   Reply With Quote