View Single Post
Old 2006-04-23, 21:47   Link #28
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
Yes, for sure. But that is part of the deal, I think. It gets you involved by forcing to get in there and try to fill in the gaps. I know I'm going to be understanding more each time I watch, and maybe never understanding everything. Like life.

In the terms used by the media theorist Marshall McLuhan, the show is "cool," not serving you up a clear, full story, but leaving a lot for the viewer to infer, and thereby getting the viewer more involved.

Another thing I liked in the early sequence in the club room: in the shot from outside the window, you could see everyone but Yuki, who was hidden by a window-frame -- except for her feet. That's like a direct demonstration of a "cool" scene, I guess.
Its been so long since I read through this one book by McLuhan... have to find it

edit: if there will be more discussion of McLuhan's theories, especially appropriate since Haruhi demonstrates virulently 'viral' characteristics in its spread, we should shift it to the Ontology thread...

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson