View Single Post
Old 2011-09-20, 16:30   Link #34
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
That's nice for Miyazaki Goro. Lord knows after the way has father has pissed all over his talent, he deserves a nice break or two.
I often wonder about the supposed animosity between father and son. I highly suspect it was nowhere near as spiteful as many people think.
Quote:
I heard that your father Mr Hayao was strongly against this production of the movie. Have you spoken with Mr Hayao recently?

Goro: I haven't spoken to him at all. In about August of last year (2005), before actual production started, producer Suzuki told me at an internal Ghibli meeting to say a few words to mark the beginning of production on Ged, so I said "I will do my best" and at the same time, "When this is over, I want to go back to the Ghibli Museum". I said this to put everybody at ease. When it reached my father's ears, he called me in and said: "Are you that half-hearted! Don't build yourself an escape route from the start!" We had a shouting argument, and that was the last time we talked to each other. When we bump into each other at work, whoever notices first just silently gets out of the way. (laughs)
And the elder Miyazaki's comment at Earthsea's preview screening:
Quote:
"It was an honest way of making, and good."
Source

The way I see it, and based on subsequent interviews, it would appear that Hayao Miyazaki 1) objected to Goro's involvement in the first place because he didn't want his children to follow in his footsteps, knowing as he did how demanding the job can be; 2) once Goro got on board, though, Hayao was furious at any hint of him putting in anything less than his maximum effort.

Still, yup, the results do help to validate Goro Miyazaki's abilities. But he was helped by a good script, which featured a strong element of nostalgia that appeals to a domestic audience, particularly older Japanese. Sooner or later, Ghibli will have to grow out of such stories. What then, I wonder?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote