View Single Post
Old 2010-02-19, 11:17   Link #362
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko View Post
IMO the attention to atmosphere building and cozy dialogues are the major characteristics of the 人食い trilogy (Mimizuku, MAMA, Yukikamatari). This style is certainly far away from the norm of light novels, where sharp characterization and smart dialogues are largely prevalent. Apparently she attempted to made them feel like children's literature, which is quite successful. But then of course there are some adults who can't stand the simplicity and cheesiness in children literature. Just like how readers pick their books, books also choose their readers.

Her writing style in her general literature works are very different though, and sometimes remind me of Sakuraba Kazuki (GoSick, Watashi no Otoko, etc). Either way, I think she is quite a talented writer, and can shape her style to fit different purposes, from game screenplays, short stories to general literature novels.
The first half of Mimizuku is written in a very engaging fashion due to being from the crazy protagonist's point of view, creating a delightfully twisted fairy tale. That's what I fell for. MAMA in comparison is much too "normal". When the rest of the story lacks any discernible depth, it's disappointing. Even so, I find the atmosphere very "Gaiman-esque", if you know what I mean.

What do you mean "her general literature works"? Does she write under other pseudonyms? From what I can tell, she's only written 4 novels, 3 of which are Hitokui light novels, and the 4th came out just a couple of weeks ago.