View Single Post
Old 2010-07-07, 11:11   Link #115
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
Not my cup of tea, I guess. I didn't really laugh at all the entire episode. Maybe a mild snicker here or there at the potty humor of it, but zzzz...... When you have to harp on the same handful of jokes 3x each in the first episode it doesn't bode well IMHO...
Maybe it would be interesting if I tried to describe some of the things I found so funny about this episode, which I have now watched three times. The first thing I really liked was Shino walking toward him in front of the school, the way they made her sway from side to side menacingly, and the determined but slightly silly and self-important look on her face. They guys on the train holding their hands above their heads so as not to be accused of molesting the giris was pretty riveting, too, although not exactly funny.

I liked the bizarre way they had Suzu kick him: the first sight of her at half his height, then the way the shoe slipped off her foot so slowly.

I liked some of the repetition for itself. The rhythm of the repeat of tying the tie, for example. The little signs above Suzu's half-visible head. The girls' assumption that all guys are "perverted" experts in adult videos, etc., was funny and interesting and bore thinking about semi-seriously. Is it true? In what way? Why shouldn't girls think that? Why shouldn't girls be like that, too? Shino's apparently cool and analytical way of looking at our hero was interesting in this context, especially when she said definitely that she was sexually "normal." Is there really no chance of a relationship?

I liked the warped consistency of the characters. Shino is so perfectly strong and capable that she can go too far and mention the unmentionable with perfect confidence, and push logic beyond its normal realm.

Her lying there for the interview was hilarious, and the interviewer lying beside her was even funnier.

The girl in the video replying "giggle" when asked her name was a treat. So was the serious and exasperated but vulnerable look on Shino's face peering into the monitor at the end.

Nothing was "laugh out loud" funny -- except maybe the prone interview -- but the whole thing had a consistent level of understated humor -- I might say "silliness" -- that made it very enjoyable for me to watch.

It also conveys the feeling of the original comic better than any 4-koma adaptation I can remember.

Combining her excellent performances in the leading roles of both this and Occult Academy, this appears to be Hikasa Youko's breakthrough season, as big for her as her first season as Mio in K-On. Yahagi Sayuri (Suzu), Satou Satomi (Aria), and Asanuma Shintarou (Takatoshi) are amusing, too.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2010-07-07 at 11:36.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote