View Single Post
Old 2010-06-21, 18:47   Link #11394
Oliver
Back off, I'm a scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentou View Post
But I can offer one good explanation to keep Kinzo's body around: Mainly, so Krauss and Natsuhi could escape from accusations of foul play.

Imagine, you pretend like someone is alive and he is actually dead, there is an element of RISK involved in doing that. If the rest of the family confronted them, and if Natsuhi and Krauss could not produce even a body, things would be very bad for them. In addition, they could also use the body to keep Jessica in the dark.
I'm afraid this is not convincing. Certainly not convincing enough to put off getting rid of the body for an entire year.

Since, as we can see clearly in Ep5, nobody bats an eye at the idea of Kinzo jumping out of the window in the middle of the night to take a walk, any discovery of Kinzo being missing when Natsuhi and Krauss are saying he is not involves no risk whatsoever, since it can be dismissed in the exact same manner. They were supposedly planning to declare him missing anyway, weren't they? Going missing during the family conference with the children he is supremely dissatisfied with is actually more believable. Took a walk, fell off a cliff, washed off into the ocean by the typhoon, go fish.

The body is not useful in any manner to keep Jessica in the dark, other than by flattening it and using it as a curtain. Any interaction Jessica can possibly have with the body involves her discovery that Kinzo is dead. Non-discovery that Kinzo is dead involves avoiding Jessica ever having any interactions with his body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentou View Post
I also propose that the culprit could have kept the body around to maintain the illusion of the witch.
Oh yeah, that was what I said when I described that the only place remaining to keep Kinzo's body is in the bathtub of his study, marinating in formaldehyde and glutaraldehyde. Sure.

But this also involves Natsuhi not only being in on the illusion of the witch, but also convincing Krauss to also participate in it, dishonouring Kinzo's body to the limit while not under pressure, and concocting a plan that somehow could not work when Ange was on the island in 1985 and Battler was not, but works in 1986 when the opposite is true. And visiting the body regularly to give daily reports in the meantime.

I'm afraid that argument doesn't work very well until something that is actually essential enough for the illusion of the witch is proposed that merits this mess. I have, so far, failed to find a sufficiently good idea, which is why I'm actually considering the opposite possibility, i.e. that the body is recent rather than a year old. There is indeed no doubt that Kinzo is dead before the game begins, this much has been said in red. There is, however, no red dismissing the possibility that he has died recently rather than a year ago.

This link has been determined hazardous for the spoiler averse
by the Department of Education.
(updated 2010-08-24)
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote