View Single Post
Old 2007-07-21, 18:23   Link #11
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by furuno View Post
I'd say i'm agree with hobbes_fan recommendation. AMD Athlon 64X2 3600+ is good. ASUS M2N-MX is my current motherboard. I'm using 4200+ on it and run very smoothly...

Other thought : AMD's proc is better than Intel's because AMD has their own memory controller, so, data transfer from processor to RAM go straightly without going to the northbridge first.
this comes at a cost, you need the more expensive DDR2 800 RAM for optimum performance. with intel there isn't as much of a performance gain between ddr2 667 and ddr2 800. But there are solid gains for AMD x2's. Particularly in dual channel mode.

Note this only applies to really intensive stuff like video encoding, gaming etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadeplayer987 View Post
Get a cheap FSP PSU like Fortron Blue Storm II 400W, powerfull enough to power an 8800GTS
As good as FSP psu's are whoever's doing this is asking a lot of ths PSU. Nvidia is recommending 30A combined on the 12v rails for the 8800 series, blue Storm has 29A, that PSU must be running at it's absolute limits and isn't going to last, let alone the heat and noise it will generate. Granted Nvidia is giving leeway of 10% (3amps), you're still working that PSU hard. You can also pretty much rule out overclocking of any sort or adding additional devices

Last edited by hobbes_fan; 2007-07-21 at 18:53.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote