View Single Post
Old 2007-10-17, 06:36   Link #100
Hikikomori Ja nai
Pony-tails Turn me on >_<

Send a message via AIM to Hikikomori Ja nai
Quote:
Originally Posted by taelrak View Post
Hrm, maybe this is an impossibility at this point given the anime community here who tend to keep on top of things, the hype this series built up, and the whole incident with the delays and all, but I'm curious to see what people who have had absolutely no prior knowledge of the story whatsoever thought of it. (i.e. didn't read any spoilers or even any hints of even the type of endings that could've been possible, didn't follow the discussions here, and didn't pay too much attention to the final episode delay).

Well that kind describes how i got into it, I just recently finished the whole series of in one sittings after pretty much being disappointed with this seasons assortment of anime. I got into because of the little bit of info i got when Higarishi was post-poned and in the article on animesource.com they said this show was also being censored for its last episode. I gave it no real thought and continued on until about a few days ago when i was just utterly depressed about loosing all my shows, claymore, Seto No Hanayome, GL etc... long story short remembered about school days and dled it.

Wasn't expecting much, yet i came away with a really good impression of the show. Everything here seemed to be something that every other romance just skirts around or never attempts to play out. Never seen relationships in anime become centralized by the theme of sex (no serious dramatic anime that is). And the truth is, in real life that becomes a real issue with couples. Whether that is wrong or right is up for debate but it shows sex as some what of an deterrent for happiness rather than the usual sex is the epitome of love and happiness.

Now they really over use betrayl in my opinion, especially with the revolving door Makoto was having at one point. And I really didn't grasp the point or the believability factor of so many girls actually falling for makoto. It was like he had the midas touch.... instead of gold he got *****, speaking of which ****** seems to be declining in value these days.... . (im glad there was no female teachers, because im sure they would have been giving him home visits like the rest of the girls.) I do see how he can get trapped in that loop thought. It starts off as wanting to fulfill his urge albeit it in the absolutely wrong way, but once the ball started to roll down hill it was over.

Then you have the girls aspect. Sekai whether by design or by pure stupidity put herself in the position of giving Makoto what he wanted without making him ever taking responsibility for the situation. She admitted later by saying she "endured it and let makota do whatever he wanted" to me that just showed how desperate she became. As for Kotonoha her life was just empty without having friends or what seem like society as whole was ignoring her. Until Sekai made her realize that Makota was some one who excepted her, but by that time Sekai had already betrayed Kotonoha and was in Makoto's heart. I do believe her clingy-ness because I have had experienced this at the end of past relationship with several ex-gf's ; even when things was not going right refused to except the facts clearly in front of them.

In the end it ended kind of what you would expect from such a tragic story. Some times the next progressive step of a a falling object is to be destroyed once it hits the ground. Or like a firecracker to explode once it hits the absolute top. It got to the point where Makoto became these two girls life above and beyond everything else. No setsuna for Sekai and an debatable (did it exsist, I think it is possible that she wasn't pregnant) unwanted baby, and Makoto right in front of her choosing some one else. I thought that was kind of poetic how Sekai slapped Kotonoha and pretty much said the same thing that Kotonoha said like half a series before. Kotonoha had nothing to begin with and for a second thought she grabbed onto salvation only to have it ripped from her not once but twice.

In the end i think Sekai became just as crazy as Kotonoha so for her to lash out like that doesn't surprise me or upset me as it seemed to do to most detractors.

I gave the series a 9 because it was just refreshing to me. The lust that other romances could have atleast implemented a small bit of i.e. A!MS, Love hina etc... and the epic tragedy of shows like KGNE
Spoiler for noooooo for KGNe:

Just was everything I wasn't expecting... and now im back to this horrible selection of fall anime...

Last edited by Hikikomori Ja nai; 2007-10-18 at 07:30. Reason: spelling and grammer erros >_<
Hikikomori Ja nai is offline   Reply With Quote