Thread: Licensed GaoGaiGar
View Single Post
Old 2008-12-06, 02:04   Link #72
Cardiac Glycoside

I just finished GaoGaiGar yesterday.

I got into GGG long after someone on another forum plugged it as a worthwhile series and shortly after I read comparisons of it to TTGL. My final analysis?

The ending of GaoGaiGar (both the TV and the OAV): I cried.

The ending of TTGL: "Why the fuck is Simon a hobo?"

Whilst TTGL was superior for me in terms of production values, I of course remember that it was made a full ten years after GaoGaiGar and had a massive budget. GGG also does a better job of making totally mundane tasks look TOTALLY RADICAL, which I don't think happens at all in TTGL. And while TTGL takes pains to avoid stock footage, GGG's is acceptable because it is just that good. It also helps that it is backed by full orchestral music.

Finally, I think Gai Shishioh* can sell the whole "courage and guts" milleu infinitely better than can Simon, especially in FINAL. (I hesitate to mention Kamina because I think that would get me beheaded, here). If the 3G were in the TTGL-verse, the Anti-Spirals would have shit themselves and given up on the first episode.

Another thing. I really liked Mamoru. I know he's just a little pissant kid who is rather Mary Sue-ish, but I think his optimism, joie de vivre and general likableness is what gave the ending(s) of GaoGaiGar the emotional tug for me that I didn't get in TTGL's ending.

*I know Nobuyuki Hiyama also voices Viral in TTGL. Shut up.