Thread: Licensed Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-25, 12:20   Link #1041
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Amazed to see so many people tossing Naru over the side so easily. We don't even know if things happened in reality as they did in Ao's mind - and if they did, we don't know whether she was in control of her mind at the time. She and Ao will be reunited, it's a mortal lock. It's a fundamental tenet of E7, even if it weren't plastered all over the OP and ED.

There's no such thing as an invalid opinion, but these complaints about AO feel so generic to me - and indeed, many of them are quite literally the same complaints people lodged in dismissing the series before it started. In my opinion this is a very different series than the original because Aikawa Shou is a very different writer than Satou Dai. This is like E7 through his lens - much more political, with anti-war and generational betrayal themes, and his particular affection for playing with altered perceptions. For me the combination is totally working - it's still E7 but darker and edgier, and I think a very interesting and complex plot is being slowly laid out. And the connections to the original show are slowly starting to reveal themselves.

For my money this is a better show than the original (which I loved despite its flaws) - so far. As always we'll have to see how they steward the story to the finish but the seeds are there - terrific MC, intriguing plot, excellent cast, great BGM. If other people see it differently that saddens me but it won't change my view. For now, it looks as if the BD/DVD sales have a chance to be pretty good.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote