View Single Post
Old 2009-05-19, 12:14   Link #59
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett
One thing you might press them on is the division of chores. If your brother is expecting you to clean the room, wash dishes, ect- point out to your parents the inequity of this. Ask them to back you up in your demand that your brother do his share. Press them to explicitly establish what your authority is to require your brother to do his share of the chores, (this might take a few meetings as it becomes clear that simply telling your brother to do his share won't work). The authority I would ask for is the ability to confiscate your brother's labtop until his chores are completed. But you have to be careful not to abuse that authority- don't go seizing his computer on the slightest pretense, make allowances for him to finish his match before picking up his clothes, ect. As long as you are making those allowances it will be much harder for your brother to complain to your parents that you are being unfair.
Actually, I like this idea... its a backdoor way of addressing the problem. Don't attack the problem itself -- address the impacts. Pressure your parents -- why are you being expected to pick up his slack? Why are THEY being expected to pick up his slack. Push *them* harder. As a parent, I like this idea a lot. Too many times I've ended up speaking to other parents (as a soccer team coach, scout dad, etc) and putting THEM on the spot that it wasn't *my* job to do their job.