View Single Post
Old 2013-03-02, 19:27   Link #59
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Personally I'm more saddened by the apparent lack of proper space operas lately. Sure we've had Space Brothers and Moretsu Pirates recently but aside from that I can't seem to recall anything since Banner of the Stars III in 2005. And besides that having happened 8 years ago it was also criminally short.

Mecha, by comparison, has had at least a few Gundams in between and of course heavy hitting shows like Code Geass and Macross F. I will however concede that we are starting to reach the point were another hit like those is getting overdue... or at least the fan in me is eagerly awaiting such a show.
For upcoming space opera's Yamato 2199 is the high profile one. A retelling of the classic 1970s space opera with new animation and it's amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folenfant View Post
I have to ask, if sci-fi and mecha are dying out then how is it possible to explain the likes of the Amazon preorder chart right now:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestselle...rsr_d_1_3_last

Looking at the sheer number of sci-fi and mecha related titles new and old that appear to be charting well it seems more popular a field than ever to stake a bet on.
Mostly boxed Blu-ray sets of the top-franchises (Evangelion, Gundam, Yamato) in that list. Those titles are, together with Ghibli movies, in a league of their own. They have a large seperate fan-base outside of the anime scene. Their sales hide the large drop off of new material in the last decade. You're going to struggle to find more than a dozen new mecha series since Geass.

Mecha centric shows and sci-fi are not major genres in the late night market and there have also been fewer prime time youth mecha/sci-fi shows. In that sense there has been a decline.

You could say there is an evolution as character centric shows have increasingly started to use elements like mecha or a sci-fi setting. In that sense variety is increasing.

Last edited by Bri; 2013-03-02 at 19:38.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote