View Single Post
Old 2008-01-12, 08:19   Link #70
Sol Falling

wow...just watched a.f.k.'s sub...and that was hilarious. Like seriously, a cult about dancing around a beach covered in piss? And the second half was awsome as well, with some extra screentime for komori-chan. And as much as I loved the first season regardless, this first episode had notably improved animation as well. I'm actually really impressed, and would say that this episode was funnier than a lot of the previous season, so for those people worrying about SZS losing it's comedic appeal, I'd definately say 'not yet'.

Though I will chime in with the people missing 'burebureburebure'.

Anyway, I'm not actually sure I get what this retconning all of you guys are talking about is about? Is it the first half? 'Cause I was under the impression that the summary it was based on isn't canonical even in the manga, seeing as the school Zetsubou-sensei supposedly ended up at was an all-girls school, versus the clearly mixed class in the actual manga. There's no indication of his family, either. And as for the reset where nobody recognized Nami, a.f.k.'s subs seemed to indicate that the show was passing that off as a flashback, as seen in the scene where Nami is talking about her 'truancy experience' in front of the class while they are discussing truancy (as shown by 'truancy' written on the blackboard).

So, yeah...are you guys talking about something else? In which case, clarification would be appreciated. The post about the varying retcons of different series was very educational, anyhow.

edit: mm, wait, you guys are referring to the DVD special? Where there was a flash message about there being complaints about staying true to 'original intention'. In that case, I'd like to suggest that that was merely a tongue in cheek comment about the censorship with funny faces in the first episode, which was removed during the scene where Kafuka was pulling Zetsubou-sensei down from his noose. I also didn't notice any plot or setting significant changes which would constitute a 'retcon' aside from Chiri's cake cutting scene (actually, I think even that was just shortened for the special, and remained otherwise identical to what happened in the show).

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2008-01-12 at 08:30.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote