View Single Post
Old 2008-10-03, 00:15   Link #15650
youngde
Unashamed Kalulu fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakir View Post
Since when does the Guren key mean her love for Lelouch at all? Source on that? Sounds like more empty over analysis. It can mean anything, right down to Kallen honoring the contribution she made to the new world or even pride of her own abilities and courage in fighting for freedom in the Guren in the first place. People quickly forget Naoto and how he's also important in that she's following in his footsteps once they start secreting fangirl spunk. And that's amazingly funny given it was these same people who complained about him getting shafted out of the story and now they're doing the same thing.

Typically, when you wear something around your neck, it hangs around the same level where your heart would be. She doesn't even clutch it fervently or anything. She just puts it on, grabs her books, does the monologue, and heads out the door with her borrowed toast-in-mouth cliche.

Neither fanservice nor foreshadowing.
Dude, my comment was mostly meant as a joke, but you can't deny that it was Lelouch that gave Kallen the key to the Guren. It may not have any romantic implications at the time, but it is basically the only gift he ever gave her. And your right about when people hang something over their neck, it's close to their heart; that's a reason why many people hang things over their necks in the first place. She doesn't need to 'clutch it fervently' or not. The key, her looking sadly at the photograph, her monolouge to Lelouch all point towards her carrying a part of Lelouch w/ her where ever she goes. That's not overanalysis, that's just plain obvious. Kallen loved Lelouch. The director himself stated that.

As far as Naoto goes, no I haven't forgotten that he was and still is a major part of Kallen's motivation. That doesn't change the fact that Kallen's plot for pretty much season 2 focused on her trying to figure out the real Lelouch (unfortunately, not fully getting it until the painful end) and falling in love w/ him. The plot would then logically close on that note.

I won't deny it. I am a Kalulu fan. But I've also been trained in the scientific method for 10+ years. One of the first rules is not to make assumptions based on our own preconceptions, but go w/ what the evidence signifies. The evidence isn't always clear (like CG's incredibly ambiguous ending), but even valid assessments can be made. Everyone has biases; that doesn't mean people cannot make valid points.

youngde, signing off.