View Single Post
Old 2009-10-28, 18:56   Link #310
TakariCritic

As someone previously guilty of writing a Mary Sue character (I was 12, cut me some slack) I can honestly say I don not consider Haruhi a Sue. To me, the main traits a Sue is guilty of is not unnatural skill, power, good looks, etc, but rather ease in relations and plot. A Mary Sue to me has no difficulty whatsoever in getting everything s/he wants, and thus is not very compelling to read.

Haruhi gets a lot of what she wants, but think for a moment: Do you think she wants to put her friends through all the heartache and backbreak they have to do? Do you think she wants her friends to keep all sorts of secrets from her?

And not all of the SOS Brigade even like her. Kyon often cites how frustrated he is with her, Mikuru hates being treated like a doll, Koizumi treats her as a God instead of a peer, and Yuki may not even like her at all. Herr classmates fear her, and avoid her.

Mainly, Haruhi is struggling to find true happiness, and is failing in doing so, mostly because of her own actions, some of which are even out of her control. To me, Haruhi is suffering and struggling enough for me not to label her a Sue.