View Single Post
Old 2012-12-05, 06:53   Link #386
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
I guess this makes sense in a way since if this was really a tv series people would have (and have already) compared this to Madoka. You know people are just gonna say Shaft is trying to ride the magical girl train to the ground. I'm disappointed of course if this was really just pinball machines stuff, but at the same time I feel that in terms of Shaft's actual company image it's a..."better move"?
A company should never think this way. It's extremely cowardly and it can easily lead to missed opportunities.

Imagine if Blizzard had said "No way we're making Starcraft. It'll inevitably get compared to Warcraft, and people will say we're just riding the RTS Gravy Train!"

If SHAFT is good at magical girl anime, then SHAFT is good at magical girl anime. There's nothing shameful about doing a lot of what your good at. And you should never pass up a good project idea just because you're fearful of comparisons between it and one of your more prominent past successes.

All of the above being said, I vaguely recall hearing that pachinko games are actually a pretty big deal in Japan. I guess they never went out of style there like pinball machines did in North America.

Also, I think there was a full-fledged anime based on a pachinko game once (Rio Rainbow Gate, IIRC). So who knows? Maybe there's a give-and-take here:

Pachinko Company Exec: If your PVs up our sales 20% or more, we'll finance a full-fledged Prism Nana anime.

Shinbo: It's a deal!