Thread: Food you cook
View Single Post
Old 2012-01-30, 21:19   Link #41
Vena
Carpe Diem

I love to cook, its like research and chemistry but on a very short, quickly pleasing timeline. I cook frequently for my friends at school, giving them cheap meals while giving me the satisfaction of having succeeded. (It saves us all a bunch of money too, as buying a bunch of meat on sale and cooking it in bulk for five people will drop prices to about a dollar ~ two per person.)

I make up recipes on the spot and from the various things I have laying around, so here's where I stand as of two days ago with two new recipes that I will soon forget. (I made the second by changing up the first a bit.)

Onion Glazed Chicken
Hardware:
Large Pot (think spaghetti sized large)
Stirring tool
Mortar and Pestel

Ingredients:
Flour
4~5 Tablespoons of Butter
2 Large onions ~ chopped
4 Crushed/Mortared Garlic Cloves
2 Pinches of Salt
10 oz Chardonnay
10 oz Apple Cider
10 oz Beef Consommé
Chick Breasts (or Thighs) ~ I had around three pounds of chicken breasts

Cooking:
Mid-High to High Heat, depending on your oven, melt three tablespoons of butter in your pot.
Flour the chicken breasts, both sides, then quickly pan fry them (about five minutes a side, just enough to turn them golden brown). (Do this all in the pot to save yourself cleaning time.)
When the chicken is ready, remove it and put it aside.
Drop in your remaining two tablespoons of butter. Wait until its melted, then dump in your onions, garlic, and toss in some salt (the two pinches).
Wait until the onions have begun to blacken/caramelize/sauté.
Pour in the 10 oz of Chardonnay, return to boil and stir until you've reached a syrupy consistency.
Pour in the beef consommé, return to a boil.
Pour in the Apple Cider, return to boil.
Wait a couple of minutes.
Turn down the heat and let this concoction simmer for about 10 minutes.
Add chicken breasts and return to a simmer.
Wait 15-30 minutes, or until the sauce has begun to turn into a syrup once again, by this point some of the onions will have annealed to the chicken and you have a full broth of delicious onion sweetness.
Turn off heat.
Profit.

Hickory Chicken in a Sweet Sauce
Hardware:
Large Pot (think spaghetti sized large)
Stirring tool
Mortar and Pestel

Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons of Butter
Hickory Sauce
10 oz Chardonnay
10 oz Apple Cider
Chick Breasts (or Thighs) ~ The other two pounds of a five pound package

Cooking:
Marinate your chicken in a hickory sauce (just enough to cover the chicken without drowning it).
Wait a day.
In your pot, bring the added combination of butter, Chardonnay, and Apple Cider to a boil.
Add chicken and any left over hickory sauce that hasn't been absorbed (make sure not too add to much or the Hickory will wipe out all other flavor).
Lower the heat to a simmering point.
Let simmer for about ten minutes a side, or until the sauce has started to become a syrup.
Check that your chicken has cooked fully though.
Profit.