View Single Post
Old 2004-06-05, 22:51   Link #90
FromageTheDog
Sazabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
Besides I somehow prefer the relatively realistic air battles over transforming mechs. Yukikaze's animation just have an "authentic" feel to it instead of Macross Zero's over-the-top effects IMO.
I agree, though I could see how this is subjective. In terms of sheer visceral thrill, the battle scenes in Zero are quite frankly the most amazing I've ever seen. Seeing the VF-0 transformation sequence for the first time was like seeing Terminator 2 for the first time (way back when!): CG wasn't exactly brand new then, and certainly isn't now, but it was the first time it's application to the medium was done right.

If you watch the extras on the Yukikaze DVDs, the GONZO team actually spent quite some time at airbases in Japan, studying the behavior of aircraft in various phases of flight both live and from gun camera footage. Like you say, it really contributes to the very authentic feel of the Yukikaze air battles.

My favorite scenes are anything that starts with:

"LT. FUKAI... I HAVE CONTROL."

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
And currently Macross Zero's story development is a bit weird IMO, with all those environmentalist sermons and strange rituals happening around XD
Yup. It certainly lacks subtlety, and I can't get away from the feeling that it's all been done before. Aside from the sermonizing, I also feel that there are far too many characters for the writers to be able to flesh any single character out sufficiently...

But despite all these complaints, I'll be in line with the rest of them when the R1 DVDs are released.

- Fromage
FromageTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote