View Single Post
Old 2011-11-12, 03:35   Link #551
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
While I don't think modern western sci-fi necessarily directly influences Gundam, your idea is intriguing (and doing a brief search I do not find a recent thread similar to your idea (there is one from 2006, but it is not quite what you are looking for)). Can you give me a full OP so I can see where you would like to lead the discussion?

(btw, What is NSBG?)
New Battlestar Galactica, while not the pinnacle of science fiction. It played a heavy role in influencing most new science fiction with it's lack of aliens, the bleak setting that gave a stark contrast to popular science fiction and being somewhat more "realistic".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opening Topic
Topic Title: Gundam and the potential of western trends

In the last couple of months, the reveal of Gundam Age and it's heavy influence by Inazuma Eleven and other works by Level-5 have left some Gundam diehards questioning the future of Gundam. I was one of the few who advocated a darker Gundam series. Taking SEED's attempts at complete bleakness without having Lacus to save the day with her suddenly acquired leadership and pacifism for example as Kira and Athrun is forced to wade through what is an ocean of blood and misery that is the Blood Valentine War.

What I wanted was a Gundam series that takes the best from the trend of Dark Science Fiction that ruled the airwaves and consoles. Resistance, NBSG, Halo and countless other dark science fiction that had dominated the early 2000s with the cynical backgrounds, a sense of true despair and morally questionable heroes who does not become some sort of mythological hero who saves the galaxy but merely delays it's end. Throughout the last two years, I have made ideas on how to give Gundam a touch of darkness that Tomino and Fukuda at some points failed to deliver. Unlike most other people, I don't plan to shake the foundations of gundam by removing favorite UC staples and also maintain Gundam's anti war message in a manner that does not result in pacifism but rather the weight of war crushing everyone.
I will explain more when the topic is made by you.

So what do you think about the topic concept and where does it belong

Last edited by james0246; 2011-11-12 at 09:31. Reason: double posts...
asaqe is offline   Reply With Quote