View Single Post
Old 2011-08-19, 16:47   Link #46
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post

On both occasions, it was for mainly for aesthetic reasons — the designs of male characters in both games were just too horrible for me to bear. The Western "ideal" of macho masculinity baffles me: I really have no idea why Western designers like to make male RPG heroes look like half-evolved gorillas overdosed on steroids.
This drives some of my character design decisions .... I tend to play elves when I have a male character (though they often shear too far to the 'bishie' side). In Camelot I played a sexless rock troll shaman thing named "Motrynn" so ymmv.

Quote:
Gender-role stereotypes inevitably colour my choices as well, making it hard for me to imagine a nice, pretty girl hoisting around a Fat Man mini-nuke launcher in Fallout 3, for example.
This... women/magic/mage just tend to flow together well. Women also make spritely rogues/assassins. Two-handed warriors? No, not so much outside of femme orcs. I have a necromancer in one game who is a "shy girl who makes dolls to talk to and protect her"... she just happens to frequent battlefields and graves to find parts...
OTOH, my primary in WoW for the Alliance side was a male dwarf (though I mostly played Horde).

Quote:
I'm also especially glad to have played a male character in Dragon Age: Origins — the ending would have been that much more complicated had my avatar been a woman.
My first run through with DA:Origins... played a female elf mage who ended up with non-king Alastair riding off into the "sunset of Warden doom". Second run-through was with a male rogue who went after every skirt in the game and also opted out of king (tosses crown to Alastair and runs for the tavern).