View Single Post
Old 2012-10-29, 14:17   Link #31030
UsagiTenpura
Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealym View Post
Yes, this is interesting. I distinctly remember thinking, back when I read the earlier parts of EP2 "Geez, Kanon, what are you? Some imaginary friend Shannon calls forth when she needs to be angry or angsty about some shit?" Keeping in mind, also, that Shmion was a thing that happened.

However, I abandoned that line of thinking very quickly, since, to be frank, the idea that "Shannon and Kanon might be the same person" just flew in the face of common sense. Especially since the story had not been going on long enough at all for there to be a pattern of "Battler never sees them together, OoooOOOoooo", it seemed like they were presented as present in front of SO MANY people that it was clearly preposterous, and of course, the idea that noone would recognize it? It was a dumb idea then, and it's mostly still a dumb idea now, just one I accept as the authors intention.
I guess that's sorta it tho, yeah it didn't seem to make much sense, but really what did we know after reading arc 1 + arc 2's intro, at that very point?
I'm not sure how too put it, but crazy stuff can get explanations later on, like many did in Higurashi (tho the sense they made is actually debatable I guess).

Going further into that debate tho. What's so crazy about Shkanon, in the light of everything else?
Kinzo managed to hide a Mansion, 10 tons of gold, and two Beatrices, for way way way longer.
Natsuhi and Krauss are managing to hide the death of Kinzo. Hell the moment we accepted Kinzo as being already dead, Shkanon shouldn't have been a stretch to accept.
Not to mention that Battler being Kyrie's son was hidden from them, or that Krauss never learned about the man from 19 years ago.
Who'd be more suspicious? You go to see your grandfather, and don't get to see him for two years in a row, and you're going to demand to see two random servants at the specific same time because you think there's something up with them?
If anything, people on Rokkenjima have too many secrets to wonder about to imagine ones like Shkanon, it's like the Sun blocking the stars during the day.
As for outrageous, omega bomb + chapel FT in arc 2 is all I've really got to say about this.

Now you might, independently, claim that all of this is crazy and makes Umineko bad. I somehow tend to think this is probably Renall's opinion (sorry if I'm wrong), but there's just no reason to specifically consider Shkanon to be worst then the rest, because it really isn't.

Also two things.
I think Jessica knows about Shkanon because in arc 2 she tells Shannon something like "I think of you as my best friend" which sounds like the follow up to her failed confession to Kanon. Furthermore her whole speech about having "more then one selves" to Kanon sounds like it could've been the origin of the whole deal, and not weirdly having Jessica preaching to someone who already surpassed her in that. As a matter of fact I think it makes some sense if we think Yasu learned to act after being introduced to Jessica on a stage and especially seeing her outrageous costume.
I think there's a good hint about visual appearances being similar : even tho Shannon denies blood relation with Kanon, they tend to be called siblings by others. Why do you think?

Last edited by UsagiTenpura; 2012-10-29 at 14:56.
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote