View Single Post
Old 2009-01-06, 19:30   Link #1882
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
I just want to repeat that question as well as ask this: Can singiing along with a song in a different language helps you learn it better? Also, where do I find informarion on how to pronounce numbers in Japanese.
In my case since this is the route I went (and presently going) I'd say 'yes'. While I was studying abroad I used to go karaoke every wednesday with another british exchange student to sing anime OP and ED only, lol.
Needless to say it really did help with my reading speed, my accents, pronounciation (and perhaps the best of all) reading and recognising new kanji every week that i was learning in class.
It's not the best way but one of the good ways to practice (most fun for me); also depends if you're in it for the singing or learning the language.
For me personally, it's both.
For a canadian woman, it was her dream to be a singer, so she performed and competed in animecons for near ten years, went to japan and won a talent show (alike pop idol) - she's now an anime OP/ED singer and obviously her accent is near perfect for singing in japanese.
(Speaking, i'm not sure but she's not absolutely fluent)
For others, they have a talent to listen and copy what they hear but aren't studying the language or know the meaning, so it depends. But at the end of the day, it's still practice with speaking in a different tongue, so it can't hurt.
As for sound with numbers, well, google search around for 'japanese 1-10 with sound' or something like that. I don't know of any websites, but there should be plenty of kids related ones or even learning japanese with sound ones around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
What about this question here:

I have a question for translators or other people who speak the language fluently to ask this question: How do you pronounce English, Spanish, French, German and other names from other countries and nationalities in Japanese? I had only seen a few shows (forgive me if I only based this off the anime I watch) but how would lets say a voice seiyuu pronounce them?

Edit: Forgive me, I didn't realize you guys were already doing that already but I have another question on how to discern certain Japanese dialects.
To pronounce foreign names in japanese, they use the foreign alphabet called katakana. It's still limited to the generic 50 sounds of the japanese language which means some names come off really weird (like mine)
Some spanish names fit pretty well I've noticed, but not just any seiyuu, most natives would pronounce gaijin names in the same way.

Mark = ma-ku マーク
you can use this website to translate foriegn names into katakana.

How to discern certain accents.
The best way if you're not in the country is to simply study it in theory
There are plenty of material in regards to grammar structure and vocab between different regions of japan, get the theory down and a good understanding of the language.
Then obviously, the next thing is to be immersed in listening to different media (or the natives) speak it and use the knowledge that you've studied to identify the differenences.

There have been some posts here on people writing about osaka-ben and tokyo-ben, the history and some examples of different sentences, but like any language, it's simply exposure to the various kinds that'll allow you to be able to tell the differeneces.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote