View Single Post
Old 2010-04-13, 19:05   Link #1099
yononaka
nani ni tatoemu

I think it may be a mistake to say that conformity is "demanded" in this world. It is merely encouraged. If it were demanded, I'd expect there to be quite literally "hell to pay" for rebellious actions, but right now those people pretty much get to do whatever they please. The level of corrective action by the Angel (who BTW so far still hasn't fully "won" an encounter) is remarkably benign if she's the agent of presumably all-powerful God. (She does kill, but in this setting that's a slap on the wrist.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Considering the fight was spanning for a moderately long time (seeing how the Guild was setup that way), it is hard to believe that Yuri could have that kind of army with reason that doesn't hold the water.
I don't claim that Yuri has all information at hand: there is a margin that she does not know things that Tenshi does. However, it is very likely that Yuri and her fellow men have enough "evidence" to fight against the world.
Beyond the "not-so-happy-with-their-life-and-their-unfair-death", there has to be things that back up the whole concept of "erased people", "NPC" and so forth. Thus why I believe Yuri didn't win so many people just by charisma or her own cause: there has to be something more substancial to have gathered so many people around, and it has to be pertinent enough so that everyone share the same sentiment. Even if it may not be absolute, there should have enough reasons for everyone to brand together against god/the world.
I think for most people the risk of being "erased" would be sufficient to put up a fight. They see people not coming back, don't have any information about what that means, and naturally want to keep existing. Without a guarantee that erasure leads to something better/acceptable, it's a pretty normal reaction to try avoiding it. Just as knowing something can be a reason for your actions, so can not knowing something. In our world, people fear death because they don't know what comes after. In a world where you know you always come back from death, you fear "erasure" because you don't know what comes after.

(Incidentally, I'm not trying to prove you wrong or anything, just discussing )

It'd be interesting to see the rationale of some of the students who aren't part of the resistance (i.e. why don't they fear erasure?), especially if they've arrived after the resistance started. How many of them are there BTW, compared to the SSS/Guild? I mean conformists, not NPCs (at least I think there's a difference, maybe I'm confused).
yononaka is offline   Reply With Quote