View Single Post
Old 2010-09-29, 17:09   Link #86
DC20

Whether Ace Combat looks better or not on the PSP is irrelevant, as we're talking about VC - and again, I have no problem with the graphical downgrade. My issue is with the stylistic one. If hand held systems will be able to support that style of graphics in the future then I will have no problems whatsoever with VC being transferred to those hand held systems in regard to the visuals - WHEN THAT IS THE CASE. However, systems now CANNOT support that style. Therefore, VC does not transfer well visually without downgrading itself. Again, how it fares in comparison to other games on the PSP doesn't matter - if the argument says that VC transfers well visually then the benchmark used would have to be VC on the PS3.

Also, I would HATE a "brown is real" VC. Here's a copy paste from my opinion on that from "The War Room" (because I'm just to lazy to write it myself Topic was "Sega Slips VC3 Confirmation")

I've actually never had a problem with the whole "browner color pallet" deal when the issue has risen with other games, but VC is renowned for its colors and artistic design (well... was). Thankfully there look to be at least some brighter colors in the screen shots provided, so there should be at least some color other than 64,000 shades of brown.

Simply put, I completely agree with you that it doesn't belong in a VC game.

To clarify my stance on "Real is Brown", I fully support it - when brown really is more realistic. When it's not I don't want my screen full of brown. Then again, I've never really had a problem with "Real is Brown" because I don't play the type of games that it features in. It's mainly used in the FPS genre, and the only FPS games out there that I can stomach is the ARMA series, which doesn't use a "Real is Brown" color palatte (and which, ironically, are the most realistic FPS games on the market). No offense to any MoH, CoD, or Battlefield fans, but arcade style combat turns me off.

Granted, VC is not realistic - it's not supposed to be. However, it DID have a distinguishing style, and it was heavily praised for that style. I really liked it, in fact, despite the clear anime influences it took and my general distaste for most (though certainly not all) of that art style. When they took that out and left only the anime... well. I've made my stance on that pretty clear. I agree with you that there is a very strong possibility that an influence on the change was to appeal to a broader audience, but "appealing to a broader audience" isn't always "improvement", and can often be the opposite. Of course, they're designing these games to make money, so hoping that they'll do it for the art of it is usually a losing bet - even when "doing it for the art" ultimately creates a higher quality product.

Last edited by DC20; 2010-09-29 at 20:54.
DC20 is offline   Reply With Quote