View Single Post
Old 2007-11-17, 16:14   Link #90
June 1983

Rika doesn't lose her past worlds' memories, only the memories just before her death. She still remembers everything else.

I'm not sure exactly what else happened ... it looks to me like in this reality, Hanyuu was able to send them far back again, but I'm still uncertain.

HOWEVER ... even if this is not the case, I'm kind of wondering if even when Rika is sent back not very far, in the past her trips back in time have still happened?

What I mean is:

Earlier on, Rika goes back to, say, 1977. She tells Akasaka stuff in 78, dies in 83, and gets brought back again, and comes back maybe in 1978. Then in 1979. Etc, etc. But everytime she does back she's still going back and "merging" with a Rika who has already gone back in time.

The flaw I see with this is that it would result in more consistency in the events of the worlds. That is, there would be less variables as she was sent back with less and less time, because certain things would already be set in stone by the time she got back. Actually, that kind of makes sense anyway, because that's sort of what would have to happen if what Hanyuu is doing is sending them back in time and creating new realities each time, rather than sending them to alternate realities where different things are occurring. Since we don't really know at what point each of the chapters are taking place in terms of Rika's entire lifespan, the huge variances (Shion being there, Keichii not being there, etc) could be the result of however much time Rika was able to go back to in that reality.

In that case though, it wouldn't make sense for Shion not to be in school with them in Matsuribayoshi-hen when she was there during Minagoroshi-hen. So that kind of blows that theory out of the water. Well -- unless of course Shion isn't there because in this reality, Hanyuu really was able to send them back really far, and therefore different choices were made about her ...