View Single Post
Old 2009-11-24, 06:03   Link #12
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
Also, on a related note, I was surprised not to see a credit there for Omimon having done the translation - instead it's listed as Velocity7?
Looking at the project page, I can see Omimon has ben added to the main overview page as a Translator here:
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/in...ri#Translators

And fully credited for each individual chapters on protected registration page here:
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/in...i/Registration

But however if you see any other places that Omimon has contributed at Baka-Tsuki.org that has not been credited, please do not hesitate to contact me immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
Ummm... in my experience, the problem with Proofreading through a wiki is that the changes become visible when you make them. Which means the translator doesn't get a chance to review them first, and it makes it difficult to add comments with possible alternate revisions or questions that would need an answer to determine the proper phrasing and/or grammar. When I've done this professionally (technical titles), this has often led to three or four back and forth cycles to make sure everything is "just so".
After reading your comment I can see that your approach is quite similar to both operating style of some of our projects such as Wolf & Spice, Buccano, Ghost Hunt and I think some of the later volumes of Zero no Tsukaima.

While a majority of our individual project group staff are quite satisfied with the ability to compare revisions and make a gradual "cycle" to "perfection", we do have some alternative solutions that will allow you communicate to the translator without affecting the public viewed script, effectively adding hidden changes and comments that will only be visible when editing.

The quick use of our comparative revision function will easily highlight your edits for easy viewing.

alternatively you can always use the revision function of our wiki to make edits, save, then revert back to original script.

Yet the edits you made will be saved to our database meaning you can then send the link of it to the translator for them to view. They then can review your comments and edits and revert any they wish to use.

One final solution is the use of the discussion page, which you can use at your digressions, other project teams do prefer to make sweeping edits and comments on the script here, before publicising on the main page.

However, if public viewing of an unedited script is your main concern, we can selectively lock the script to block anonymous editing and on the extreme end we can enable edit verification, i.e. All edits must be approved before modification of the pages. (as seen on the Wikipedia)

While the wiki is not completely perfect compared to the traditional face-to-face method, it brings very little disruption to the translator, yet can be an effective and efficient collaboration tool.

I hope this has somewhat alleviate your concerns over the use of the wiki.

But in the end if you and omimon are adamant that you do not wish to use the wiki in any shape or form then there is really isn't anything I can say that would change your mind.

At leased the one thing we can do at Baka-Tsuki.org is help promote Bakemonogatari to the greater community and ensure more people can access and enjoy this great novel.