View Single Post
Old 2009-10-01, 16:34   Link #68
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
While we're on the topic of file uploads - although I mentioned on the main page of the wiki that uploaded images should result in a thumbnail of 180 pixels wide to about 120~130 pixels height, you should not upload them as such thumbnails. I recommend a minimum width of 300 pixels for uploaded images, unless you can't find any bigger image.
Yeah, I've been trying to get images that are as large as I can, but I've been struggling a bit to find material to work with for some of the shows (in some cases, grabbing screenshots from trailers and such, which aren't always high-res). I usually do a test in Photoshop just to make sure the aspect ratio is correct, but still upload them in the size I have. But yes, this is good practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
Just FYI, when we started this, I had never edited any wiki apart from very straightforward changes to wikipedia, like adding a paragraph. But I had no problems understanding the code relentlessflame cited seeing a working example. All known unknowns became known knowns just by looking at them so far, I "only" have problems with all the unknown unknowns that might offer ways to do things more elegantly.
Oh I wasn't meaning to imply that it was incomprehensible -- it's certainly "learnable" if you just follow the pattern others set before you. I too didn't have any real problem... but I would hope that I wouldn't given that I write code all the time. But even though I "get it", that doesn't mean I would claim that it's really "user-friendly". Anything that requires people to understand an obscure one-off syntax raises the bar, and I wonder if it'd be easier to get more participation were it simpler. That being said, whether that would be an increase in the quality of the contributions is a different story.

Anyway, apologies for leading the thread into a meta discussion. This is what we have at the moment, and I think it's worth the continued experimenting for now.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote