View Single Post
Old 2010-09-02, 22:59   Link #3132
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevil1 View Post
Why? I agree with him... I learn better by writing things while hearing them at the same time. That's why I recommended the site in my sig because it lets you do both. Using that site I made flash cards while listening to the sound of that character and just study them.

Here's my own new questions:
What are some commonly misused Hiragana characters, and characters that people had trouble with when learning them? One thing I have trouble with is (nu), and (meh).
There are a few more that I have trouble with so far, but those are only two of them. Help?

Is this character's sound "Fu (foo)", or "Hu (hoo)": .

Also, I still don't get how to set my computer up to type Japanese. If someone knows how and is willing to help me, I would appreciate that.
ふ is pronounced like a light Fu. Like, say Hu, but bring your lips into an O. Feel the air pass, but don't bring your upper teeth to your bottom lip like an English Fu.

Some kana that I had trouble with are い む き and さ. I kept flipping い, and with the other three, the stroke order kept confusing me. き and さ are two strokes, not three (across, then the rest. I thought it was three because those characters look different in certain fonts)). Writing む was just an absolute mess for me (the circle thing is a loop, not an actual circle ). I didn't learn correct stroke orders for all the kana until I went to an actual class. btw if you're serious about learning, I highly suggest going to a class at some point. You may be able to skid by without formal instruction with a language descended from Latin, but with Japanese, a language which was cultivated in an entirely different environment than English, you'll need a helping hand. At the very least, a class will make things easier and faster.

About typing Japanese on XP, here: http://blog.greggman.com/blog/japane...on_windows_xp/ (the guide is for XP Pro, but I went through the process with my XP Home and nothing is different, so it's good to use for all XP users). To type in Japanese, select Japanese as the input language, and Microsoft IME Standard as the keyboard layout if you have a QWERTY keyboard (if you have a Japanese keyboard, choose Japanese as the keyboard layout). The necessary files are included in your computer if your comp came preloaded with XP. If you installed XP over a different OS manually, then you may need the installation CD to get the East Asian Language pack, or download it (if Windows still supports XP).

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2010-09-03 at 06:27.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote