View Single Post
Old 2013-02-08, 02:02   Link #1321
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
That's more broad than what I was getting at.

Certainly a visual experience is more than just animation, but animating stick figures is a lot easier than animating say the art style in something like Legend of the Galactic Heroes. K-ON has a very simplified art style for its characters, which makes it more fluid than something like even Haruhi, but I see this as a sacrifice in visual quality. Now if I could see more things animated at the level of K-ON or Hyouka, but with a more complex and interesting art style (Think Redline for example), that's truly impressive to me.
I don't even think that "simplified" character design lighten the burden on the animation to such a big margin as you seem to imply. Rather, the amount of moving objects/characters is what make an animation sequence truly noticeable along with the fluidity thrown in there.
Because really, if simplified art style could really do the trick, a hefty amount of series could have much better than they have now (who said SSY? *ahem*). Of course, I get what you meant with the "animating sticks" analogy, but that's quite extreme, because frankly, I will simplify the problem here, but if you compare K-On and Haruhi for instance, save the characteristic facial features being different, the differences are arguably not that big (and I of course compare with the original 2006 series, not the 2009 one). Aesthetism with colors, cinematography etc is a different field as far as I can see.

To be really frank, seeing K on and Nichijou very simple art style doesn't make me think it is "easier" to animate, especially when you have to consider the amount of animation sequences and tibits (fingers fidgetting etc) thrown in there.
What make a series animation easier, imho, would be how the storyboard is done (as in, how the guys decided to show specific scene and how key frame would look like to begin with), and what kind of animation prowess/tricks they tend to use or avoid using.

However, elaborated design will lead to one problem: design consistencies/bloopers over time.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2013-02-08 at 02:13.