View Single Post
Old 2012-04-17, 23:46   Link #1076
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID555 View Post
^Personally, I still don't feel the non sibling love between Kyousuke and Kirino... Maybe because all that 'I hate you but I love you' stuff is too sibling-like.
I personally think that the way it's playing out, it's a lot more "tsundere" than anything sibling-like. I was pretty close to my two little sisters growing up but, suffice it to say, there was nothing resembling the sort of tension (particularly the sexual tension) shown even in the early part of this story, not to mention what seems to have developed since then. I know they justify part of this due to their apparent estrangement, so they were like "strangers living under the same roof"... but, even if you take that at face value, them recovering from strangers to normal siblings (who seem to have some amount of physical attraction to each other too) is not going to be easy. So I've honestly never been able to see their relationship as sibling-like, despite Kyousuke's rather big-brother-like apparent intentions at the start ("I'll put up with Kirino's unreasonable requests because she's my sister.")

Again, this is not a commentary on how the series will end or what will develop from here on out. But only to say that, to me, the theme has always been there because something seemed off; I could never pass anything off as "they're just siblings". Of course, as everyone has said, exactly why things felt off could be explained and lead to any number of resolutions, and I also tend to believe those that suggest that the stereotypical sibling endings we might imagine don't seem very probable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVolf View Post
Incest or not, Kyousuke's and Kirino's feeling will have to be dealt with, that's for sure, unless we are seriously getting an open ending...
Ultimately, I think this is what it comes down to me for me (and thanks very much for your kind words and detailed reply). It seems to me that it's "an issue" (a major issue) that has to be dealt with. It seems clear, for many reasons, that the path to any possible ending has to go through Kirino.

If you believe that Kirino thinks she wants to have Kyousuke to herself in every sense of the word, then the options in the story in my mind are basically: a) she sacrifices her feelings so that Kyousuke can be with the person he really loves (if that's the case, then the "reveal" has to wait longer so it's clearer that Kyousuke does really have another girl in his heart, otherwise he'll reject her sacrifice and choose her), or b) her feelings are reciprocated and either it works out or it doesn't to varying degrees. (There's also a c) that they do try going out for a while and eventually decide to go back to being siblings... but that's sort of a weird path to take, and I think unlikely since they've played the separation card a few times now with opposite effect. And I'm sure more options and variations I didn't think of...)

If you believe that Kirino is just confused and doesn't really love Kyousuke "that way" (and everything presumably works itself out somehow when the issues from the past are revealed and dealt with so they can be reconciled as siblings), then I wonder how they tie everything back to the central premise but still have Kyousuke end up with someone else. Just going "oh, I'm so glad I resolved that misunderstanding with Kirino; with that out of the way I can date whoever I please" is rather... plain, and doesn't really have to do with anything. If that's the case, it's almost better for them to have an open ending and for him to end up with no one (just end as soon as the misunderstanding is resolved), but then all of these chapters in the interim are really sort of pointless and meandering. (Could have just ended the story the same way the "false ending" of the anime did; everything from 5+ would be pretty much superfluous filler that didn't do anything but delay the reconciliation and keep the story going.)

So yeah... anyway, that's how I see it from my vantage point anyway, granted without all the small details from the novel. It seems more logical from my perspective to follow my gut feeling from the anime (and influenced by the PSP game) and think that Kirino's feelings are leading somewhere, even if the final destination is unclear. But, in either case, envisioning a "perfect ending" (certainly one that would please everyone) seems harder the further we go into this.